Beagles & Apartments - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beagles & Apartments

Hi All,

I am new to this website. I LOVE beagles, we had one growing up -- and I have never met another dog like her.

My question is this: I currently live in an apartment, and would love to get a beagle. However, I know they like to bark and can get destructive if bored. I will be working full-time.

I was just wondering if any has (1) raised a beagle puppy in an apartment, OR (2) adopted an older beagle/had an adult beagle in an apartment and how it went?

Thanks!!!
tkking17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Son had a young beagle in an apt and I would not suggest it. His chewed his way out of a kennel, ate a large hole in the carpet and got ahold of a red permanent sharpie chewed it enough to dye the carpet red.

I know some of that could happen in a house as well but I don't have a large security deposit at stake in my house.

You're also right about the barking. Our beagle Nina howls any time my wife leaves. I can be sitting right next to her on the couch but she'll howl. If I was our neighbor in an apt I'd definitely be on the phone with management.
Eddie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the info! those are so really good points. My largest concern would be the noise -- as the walls are rather thin
Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I guess it depends on the beagle and the person...I currently live in an apartment, and I raised my beagle from 8 weeks old here. He is now two, and I don't have problems with barking/howling.

I work full time, but I made sure that I could come home during lunch while he was young to avoid accidents and keep him on his potty training schedule. I also super puppy proofed the place, so there was nothing for him to get into, and kept doors closed on rooms I didn't want him to go in.

Lots of training and making sure he gets enough exercise works for me!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

We also raised our beagle from 8 weeks old in an all white apartment. Our beagle is 1 1/2 years old. We are consistent with training, feeding and the potty breaks. So far so good. Our beagle doesn't howl either. Our biggest issue when he was a pup was the chewing. He really liked the edge of the carpet, the blinds and anything wood, lastly the gout around the toilet, aside from the carpet that can be replaced/fixed. We also had the occasional piddle inside too which is fine with a quick cleaning.
I think your dogs personality is gonna be somewhat of a reflection of you. Also look into how accepting your apartment is towards dogs. Good luck!
Astroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the good tips!

Did any of you have another older dog with the puppy? Or was he home alone when you were at work?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

My boyfriend and I had rotating schedules at the time so the most he was in the kennel was for about 3-4 hrs, 2 days a week. I did come home on the long days to let him out to use the bathroom. No other dog. He did really well with the kennel too.
Astroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

We have four adult rescues and we live in an apartment - adult rescues are definitely the way to go!
BookerMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

We both have apartments and I think Starla has done well. The first thing we did was tell all of out neighbors that we had a new puppy, so they knew to expect the crying when we left for work (which she stopped after a month or so). We had also heard the warnings about barking, but the truth of the matter is, we actually had to teach Starla how to speak. She didn't bark on her own until we taught her to and I think as a result she doesn't bark that much. Now at 18 months she has gone through a phase of barking at people who pass by out apartment, (namely a Greyhound that for some reason she doesn't like), but I think because we taught her to speak, when we tell her to stop, she does. We never had a crate for her. When we left we blocked her off in the kitchen with a doggie gate (we live in shotgun apartments so all the rest of the rooms can be closed.) My bf blocked off any furniture of value and electrical cords with refrigerator boxes while we were gone and to this day, now that the boxes are gone, she doesn't even go near those things. We also sprayed bitter apple spray on anything we didn't want her to chew and it worked fine. The only thing she has torn up is some bed sheets and that was actually while we were there (so our fault for not watching) and that can be attributable to any dog. We potty trained her with puppy pads and that turned out to be a breeze, but if you live in an apartment, you have to be extra willing to take her outside when she has to go. The only thing I would consider a big, big plus would be a fenced-in backyard/area. We were concerned about a beagle in an apartment getting fat so we are dilligent about the daily walks. I think it's definitely doable, and you could say it takes a little more work than the convenience of living a house and having a beagle, but I also think that could be said of having any dog in an apartment.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've successfully raised two beagles (at the same time from puppyhood) in an apartment. They have thrived, but it has been some extra work on my part.

My first suggestion is that the dog MUST be exercised everyday! At least for an hour. If you work, I would suggest doing it before work as well as in the evenings. Also, I feel like getting two at once was really an advantage. Beagles are "pack" dogs and DON'T like to be left alone. My two had each other to keep company. Had I only gotten one, she would have probably howled too much out of loneliness. I've heard of that happening a lot.

It's possible to raise a beagle in an apartment. If you are up for a little extra work, I'd say go for it!
BergenandLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement