Crate training 1 year old - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Crate training 1 year old

My husband and I just adopted a 1 year old Beagle from a rescue group in our area. The foster mom told us she was housetrained but we are discovering that she really isn't. We think she had access to a doggy door and could go out whenever she wanted. I am home with her now but soon will be going back to work and she will need to be in her crate until I get off.

In my research I have found that crate training is a good way to housetrain a Beagle. My question is should I be leaving her in her crate even if I am home while we are crate/house training her?

She was rescued from a shelter and her foster mom only had her 2 weeks before we adopted her so we really don't know her history or what kind of training she has received. Any advice you can give would be great!
txteachingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have any real advice, but I do know when they are put though a lot of stress from changing homes, they sometimes lose their housetraing for a while until they feel secure. Last November we adopted two girls and they were housetrained, crate trained and we have a doggie door. We were their 3rd house in a month so they were not very secure. Anyway, we went through several bottles of Natures Miracle cleaning our carpets until they decided we they weren't going anywhere and they were loved. Now it isn't an issue. It did help that we put them in their crate whenever we were not home. They became a house wrecking and carpet peeing crew for a while. We still have to be careful about them destroying things, but that is another story.

The point of this is she could very well be potty trained, she is just doing it from insecurity at the moment.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like Tuckers idea.
Depending on how long she was in the shelter, it could be that too. A lot of times their pen is their bathroom too, so they don't know the difference.
Once we gave Seamus free reign in the day he stopped having accidents, but WOULD have them if he was in his crate for longer than he was used to. I thought it was because he was off his usually schedule, but i think it was just because he hated being in his crate.
He now goes in it all the time on his own, now that he doesn't have to be locked in it. So I guess it might depend on how well she likes or doesn't like being locked in. I have a feeling she also may not like being locked in a full work day. When Seamus was still potty training I would come home for lunch every day to take him out, so he was only in there for 4 hours (which feels like so long! now that he isn't in it at all).
Even potty trained I still come home to walk him and hang out with him a bit so he can have some interaction until my SO gets up. (he works nights)
Good luck, with whatever you decide to do! I was never a fan of cleaning up potty accidents.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have read alot of different advice (and also many opinions) about crate training. Here's what we did: We have been crate training our Chloe (she's now 19wks).....my husband and I both work and my son goes to school. What we do is play with her (or a nice walk) in the morning after her breakfast has had time to digest (this is not something I normally had time to do in the mornings, so now I just wake up earlier to make sure Chloe-bell has time to play).....then she goes in the crate. By then, she's ready for a nap. Initially, I would come home from lunch and let her out (or at the latest, my son would run home to let her out after school) but now that it's summertime, my son goes home frequently during the day to let her out and just play with her. Once we get home after work/school, we let her out for the night. I've read that many people say to crate them even when you are home so they get used to a "Schedule" but I wanted Chloe out with us. She's part of the family (and we have two cats also and she sees them just prancing around all day!). She's only being crate trained to be potty trained (SUCCESS - she has been trained now for a month and a half, we got lucky I think!) and for while she's in her really destructive stage (she chews everything ) when we can't be home with her....so that's what we did....hope it helps.

But let me add, she did have accidents as we would let her out of the crate after work....and maybe that's the reasoning to keep them in while you are home. But we just watched her like a hawk and tried to catch her everytime she wanted to squat....we cleaned our fair share of puddles and our living room carpet looks like heck, but it's been worth it. Something just clicked in her head....and she started running to the door and crying to go out...sometimes, that's 3 times in an hour, but if she's got to go, she's got to go! We're working on asking her to wait (and lay down) if we are eating dinner and we know we JUST took her out. That might be some manipulation on her part! I wuv her.

Last edited by Myfave1; 07-15-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: additions....
Myfave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement