Drooling?! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Drooling?!

One of our boys EVERYTIME I put him in the car he drools REALLY bad. They ride in the car all the time and never had a problem with it.Then suddenly one day Kash just started drooling everywhere. Like literally foaming from the mouth.And its the only time he does it.On occasion he even vomits in my car. They are both crate trained and he has no problem going to bed when at home but only in the car is it an issue. We had them in the crate when they were babies then let them free roam for about a month or two then Kash started drooling so we put them back in the crate to stop it from ending up covering the car in drool.Any ideas or anyone have this problem?
KashNRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Drooling?!

I should add that we would stop taking him places but we visit with my parents about ever other weekend and take the boys so they can spend time with their dogs and get some interaction with other dogs.And I dont wanna stop taking him places, cuz then I feel like its not fair.And they/him does great as soon as hes outta the car. No matter where we are.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

We have the same trouble with Penny - she does not travel well at all - even very short trips in the car are traumatic. We have had to resort to having a dog travel box attached to the back of the car because she was throwing up and drooling excessively (at least we can hose it out when she throws up).

Today, my sister-in-law (a nurse) suggested trying Sea Legs (a human car sickness remedy). I have just done some research and it seems it's OK to use with dogs with great results. We are talking about giving it a go, because we would love Penny to travel inside the car with us and our Corgi (who is great in the car).

We have tried making the very short car trips fun, putting in toys, herbal remedies, ginger - nothing seems to work. So, unless any members have any adverse experiences with Sea Legs, we are going to give it a go.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks.Yea they always have their blanket and favorite toys to play with in their crate.I think Im going to talk to the vet and see if there is something we can give him that will help.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Starla used to drool a lot too. When she was little we used to keep her in a travel crate when we travel and she would be completely soaked in drool by the time we got anywhere. Occasionally, she would even vomit. We eventually took away the crate and the drooling has decreased greatly. Now she hardly drools, if at all. She's more excited about where we are going. The only thing I can say is that they have to get used to it. Starla didn't stop drooling so much until we started taking her to my mom's once a month which is almost a 2 hour car ride. IT seems the longer rides got her more used to being in the car than the short ones did.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

There was an episode on the Dog Whisperer where Cesar had to help a dog that excessively drooled while in the car, its an anxiety issue from what I understand, if you get a chance to see that episode it might help you greatly.
Astroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, our poor Roscoe has been dealing with carsickness for almost 2 years now! We have tried everything. The vet recommended childrens' Bonine (a motion sickness pill), that helped a little but not enough for me to keep giving it to him.
We tried to make the car a "happy place", ie put him in it with treats and toys without going anywhere. Then move on to short trips and increase the length of the trip a little at a time. Unfortunately he has not grown out of it. He still drools, throws up and we have even had the occassional poop accident in the back!
They say some dogs grow out of it and others do not.
We can't even walk past the car without him getting anxious, he pulls me away from the car even if we aren't going anywhere. It bothers me b/c we love to take our guys everywhere, especially in the warm weather. We still take him and just bring a lot of baby wipes, paper towels and mats for him to lay on. He is fine when we get where we are going.
I hope Kash grows out of it or learns to get over his anxiety.
RosCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Same problem here. Tucker drools like crazy. He still gets in the car whenever we ask him, but he drools a pool. He seems to be better in the car than the truck. We think it might be the motion that upsets him. When we made the moved to Utah, the vet gave us tranquilizers for the 16 hour 2 day trip. He was even anxious then, sleepy, but anxious.

Now Yuki gets carsick too. She has thrown up a couple times. We just make sure to put a towel down before loading them up.

We don't use crates in the car, but they all wear seatbelts.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Drooling and Peeing

Casie is not a good traveler that way either. He drools enough to soak his blanket in the crate, and then soon he will pee like he hasn't been let out for days. It's a horrible experience for us, because normally we don't have laundry nor bathing facilities. This only happens in the car on longer drips....but enough that we have considered putting him in a kennel --- we've never done that before with any of the boys....and doubt we would with Casie because he is so timid, we'd never get the same dog back again.

The vet recommended dramamine for children, but I wasn't comfortable with something that we hadn't tried before the trip. So we put up with it. I'd like some ideas, too as we want to be able to take them with us this summer.....not be homebound because of the dogs.

Cathy J

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Our previous beagle, Sam, drooled every car trip we made no matter the distance. So for the 4 years we had him we just kept extra towels in the car. On long rides he eventually would fall asleep. My poor husband's truck had drool stains long after we lost him to a battle with cancer.
ssfbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement