Our Beagle World Forums banner

Humping beagles who are neutered!

12K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  spidershauna 
#1 ·
My two beagle boys are both neutered and they are always humping. How can we get them to stop? They are 1-2 years old. Do they grow out or into this?

#3 ·
I know more than one <span style="text-decoration: underline">spayed female</span> that humps. Our Sadie goes to work on my leg when she think I'm paying more attention to her mom than to her. It’s just a dog thing.

Hey Dad! Are you forgetting that I'm the center of the universe here?

#7 ·
My 2 boys try to do eachother from time to time but they don't allow eachother to do so, even though each one tries.

Rolo does shove his bum in Charlies face and Charlie gives a little lick u know where? then Charlie takes it as OK I'M ALLOWED NOW? however Rolo stops him from mounting him.

This is odd but I did hear and see from the posters it's a dom thing, to determine who is higher on the ladder. They will work it out for themselves.

#10 ·
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
For us it's the opposite. Bodie, who's fixed, gets humped by our neighbor's female beagle when they play. Bodie meanwhile just seems clueless to why he's being violated.
That is the same with our Ben! His female JRT friend (fixed) is quite amourous with Ben, to the point where you wonder if you should even be watching. He seems clueless and then irritated to the whole thing though.

I have only ever seen Ben hump anything twice. Once was a female collie of some sort and the other time was one of his large stuffed animals.

#11 ·
Moosie often goes crazy humping at the dog park - he doesn't seem to care if it is a boy or a girl or if he is at the front or back end of them! Last year we left the gang at a doggie hotel when we went on vacation and all the reports back were that the girls were great and kept out of trouble, but Moosie was humping EVERYTHING - they called him Julio Iglasies and said he needed a smoking jacket.

It must be a dominance thing for Moosie since he is fixed, but he appears to be very accepting of the fact that he is the absolute bottom of the totem pole in our household - it is just when he gets into a different environment that he seems to have delusions that he can somehow move up...

#12 ·
Miss Shiloh has this problem with her new boyfriend [see above post 'Checking In'. They run and play and take turns chasing each other, and then eventually Rusty tires of that game, and wants to play a different sort of game--The Humping Game. Shiloh is definately not a fan of this game, and, as his daddy keeps pointing out, Rusty doesn't have the proper equipment to carry through on his desires. So we wind up having to make the lovers return to their respective homes.

#13 ·
Don't let neutering fool you. It doesn't take all their desire away. Our oldest dog Sam, was neutered at about 3 months of age and he humps and even ties with our females. Of course the humping and ties only occur while they are in heat, but he can and does do it.

I know that humping is often a dominance thing, but there are times that I can tell it is a hormonal thing too. And yes, they don't care which end it is...just want to get the action moving. Our females are the ones that confuse which end is correct but it is like their hormones are raging and they just have to get it somehow. I try to tell them it doesn't work when they are on top, but dog gone it, they just keep trying. lol

We have so many dogs around us all the time and I see humping frequently, but there does seem to be a difference between dominance and hormones. I don't think a neutered dog totally loses his urge. I think like men it just helps them to shoot blanks instead.

#14 ·
My two boys will do the same thing....it's got to be a dominance thing. Because it happens usually when one has been rolled by the other, and then the humping begins. My problem is Cobi, the older, has some arthritis in his hips, and although Casie is only twenty pounds, it's tough on Cobi's back. We say no, but I don't know that this has enough strength to it to stop it.

#15 ·
The only time Daisy ever humped was when our neighbor's female came over into our yard. We thought they would play. But Daisy insisted on humping Sophie over and over again. I really do think it was a dominance issue. Daisy is jealous of her people and her yard. Ha Ha!!

Monica and Daisy:)

#16 ·
you know its weird, i've had two unfixed dogs and both weren't humpers. Teddy isn't fixed and wont be for a while and we haven't had any issues. now my friend's Beagle , is younger then teddy got fixed at around 7 months i believe and will hump your FACE if he's given the chance, idk how or why but i've never been able to find rhyme or reason to it all. Crazy doggies.

#17 ·
Unfortunately some dogs (male and female) never ourgrow it. Menolly is the first female we've had who has humped us (thought not for about two weeks and I'm hoping...) Another dog we had was a little Chihuahua mix who used to hump our big female Aussie mix - on her head! He was every day of nine years old when we lost him and he still did it.

#18 ·
Fixed female mounting my 2 year old son

I have a beagle female about 4 years old. The problem I am having is she is frequently mounting my 2 yr old son , and trying to bite his neck. I have put her on her back and held her there with him on top of her, and she continues to do this. My son is starting to fear her, and I don't want to have to get rid of her. What else can I do? What do you mean "fully submits"? I saw it in an earlier thread. My 2 year old is even afraid to sit on top of her.

#19 ·
I'm in a puppy group with a lot of expert breeders and trainers. (I am not one of those!). They all assure that spay/neutering does not stop the act. It just stops the pregnancy. Of course, we all know many instances when it did work, and a dog stops such behavior. But the pros seem to agree that like all other behaviors, it takes training to stop the undesired mounting/humping. There's no easy solution... just diligent training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.