Face and ear licking the other dog - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to don&ernie
Default Face and ear licking the other dog

I'm just full of new topics this week!

My Ruby has a new habit of licking Bailey's face, lips, teeth (a beagle french kiss! Ha!) and inside of his ears. Sometimes I think she does it to get a rise out of him to start playing, but many times Bailey just lays there and gets his tongue bath.

Does anyone with multiple beagles have this happen? I'm curious if it's a dominant or submissive action. SInce Ruby tends to assert herself as alpha the rest of the time (she was the first), I'm guessing it's a dominant action. But she also licks my hands and feet all of the time, too. She's a licker!

Thoughts, anyone?
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Face and ear licking the other dog

Ours do it to each other in various combinations and permutations - I've never been quite able to figure out whether it is a dominance thing or a maternal thing, or something else entirely - since the licker and lickee can vary so much. It will be interesting to hear if anyone knows the answer!
BookerMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have always thought of it as a submissive behavior. The licker is trying to show respect to the top dog.

Our dogs do this all the time, but I do not have any that act like an alpha really. Maya is doing it a lot right now because she is depressed and wants to take care of something since we re-homed all the puppies recently. Sam is the cleanest dog in the world at the moment, but he doesn't mind. He sleeps through it most of the time. lol

Oh and we do have Beagle french kissing going on all the time between Maya and Tate. I thought it was because they are mates and they love each other. lol
Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

The submissive thing makes sense to me. When they're hanging out together and not paying attention to people, Bones can usually be seen licking Spock's ear; even though her personality lends itself to dominance, my boyfriend and I treat Spock as the alpha dog. The two of them do like to lick one another's ears from time to time, but it is mostly Bones tending to Spock.
fauxpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Zelda does this!! She's the only dog in the house, but she does this with her bf, Lincoln. Whenever she sees him she is glued to him. It's funny cuz he's so tiny that he can fit underneath her.

I think it's more of what beagletails says (for Zelda). Seems like she's showing respect. She licks pretty much EVERY INCH of him and he just sits there and lets it happen.

One time we were on a group walk... four dogs in total.. and Lincoln wasn't on a leash. AT one point he was sniffing along the side of the path and wouldn't budge so we all just yelled ok, bye lincoln! and kept walking. As soon as Zelda realized that he wasn't walking with us anymore, she stopped, froze in her spot, and had her eyes glued on him.

"It's not much of a tail, but I'm sort of attatched to it." - Eeyore
deedeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

My JoJo licks my cockers mouth (french kiss) and inside her ears aswell. She also licks the cats, me, OH, walls, carpet, furniture, food bowl........

The list goes on. She is a REALLY BIG licker. Its pretty yucky but I figure its better then her mouthing. Mind you at 4am being woken up by her tongue up your nose its not really the nicest.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Diana
One time we were on a group walk... four dogs in total.. and Lincoln wasn't on a leash. AT one point he was sniffing along the side of the path and wouldn't budge so we all just yelled ok, bye lincoln! and kept walking. As soon as Zelda realized that he wasn't walking with us anymore, she stopped, froze in her spot, and had her eyes glued on him.
That TOTALLY sounds like Zelda and Lincoln are a couple and are inseparable. It's cute.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

We need some pics of this.

Facebook
Dogbook

Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
PFR

Jasmine is always cleaning her sister Maggie's ears (and biting like she has an itch) and Maggie is always cleaning Jasmines eyes.
They don't do the teeth licking, but I was always under the impression that licking of the mouth was being submissive? Something like asking permission?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Caesar is always licking Emma's (GSD X) ears. And he's always licking my ears, face, nose, eyes... He's a very lovey boy.

To err is human, to forgive canine. -Anonymous

brandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement