Dog afraid of Men - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog afraid of Men

Has anybody ever had to deal with this:

Male 2-1/2 neutered dog is afraid of men. Not aggressive but will just stand there and bark non-stop. If the man tries to get near, he just runs away and hides. As per his previous owner, he has been like this since puppy-hood

I really need some input regarding this, as my room-mate and I may be trying to help a dog with this problem.
Ivy Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dog afraid of Men

Well I doubt I know the correct answer to this problem. But my approach would probably be to get male acquaintances to engage your dog in play. Maybe they get down on the ground with them (less intimidating) and try to play with him. It might be as simple as saying Come followed by a treat. If he comes have your male helper rub his belly and pet him. Be enthusiastic with your voice and overly friendly.

If it doesn't go as planned initially don't sweat it. Just be patient and try again.

Facebook
Dogbook

Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Hi! I just recently saw an episode of It's Me or the Dog where the trainer had the owner walk the dog along a path and had a male approach and, when close enough, threw a piece of chicken so the dog could eat it and keep on walking. They did this several times and then had the male walk, stop near the dog and throw the chicken. Lastly, a male came up to the front door and when the owner opened the door with the dog on a leash, the male gave the dog a piece of chicken. Goal is male = treats, I guess. I am sure that this whole process would take place over some time but it seemed plausible.
judymaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I think the treats would be a good idea, but get the men that come into your dog's life to completely ignore him. Right now, any attention they give him will be seen as intimidating. Avoidance is a very natural dog behavior and will make him feel much more at ease than if someone is in his face. Eventually he may come around and engage the human. And he may not. But the goal is to get him to be comfortable enough to not bark or freak out.
Pack Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Interesting. I thought Murphy was the only dog afraid of certain people. She doesn't like little boys. Even some that she knew as little boys but are grown men now. She barks at them and if they try to pet her she backs up. I really think she would snap at them too. It's wierd, she's ok with little girls, just boys. She's ok with most men too.

Things that make you go hmmm.

I would think that Victoria's (It's me or the dog) approch would work. Especially a Beagle.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Should I go pick up the dog alone or with my
room-mate?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Molly has a major issue with men. She is afraid of unknown humans in general but men are the worst for her. I have had her 10 months (rescued from a shelter, about 3 years old) and she is slowly warming up to my hubby but still cowers from him or will growl at him if he comes in from the garage. My first greyhound, Jake, was also VERY frightened of men. His track handlers were very rough with him and were men.

It takes time and patience and NO coddling when they get scared. With Molly I ask people not to acknowledge her or make eye contact but I am sure to keep talking to the person and make her stay with me and we just ignore her. My husband has been spending time walking her and also some training time with her alone (treats involved of course).

If you have a male visitor to your home, just have them ignore your dog and go about their visiting. Ask them not to reach out at him, make eye contact, or try to catch him to pet him. You can give the visitor a doggie treat to hold and if your dog comes into the room and up to your visitor, then have them put it on the floor by their foot.

Good luck! You can definately overcome it. My greyhound does awesome now with all male visitors/strangers and Molly my beagle is making progress.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: IvyHoustonShould I go pick up the dog alone or with my
room-mate?
Your room-mate can certainly come with you to pick up the dog, just follow the info I suggested. My husband was actually the one that picked Molly up from the shelter during a horrible snow storm - so he is really the one that rescued her and brought her to me. She was scared when he went to get her but it was all part of what she had to get used to.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you so much for all the input. I just got the re-assurance I needed.

Here is a picture of Hank the Basset Hound that will be joining me at the end of this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Dog afraid of Men-1465.jpg  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh my goodness - Hank is so cute!!!
Advertisement