Intact male interested in spayed female? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Intact male interested in spayed female?

I had thought that once a female dog was spayed that an un-neutered male would no longer be interested in her in that way... but is that true? Buzz is our first dog that was not fixed when he arrived, but is scheduled to be neutered on November 11 (we couldn't get a surgery appointment with our regular vet until then). We didn't think it would be an issue to wait until then, since both Booker and Popcorn are spayed, and he isn't showing any interest whatsoever in Popcorn, but he is absolutely obsessed with Booker. Unless we call him off, his nose his basically attached to her behind - and when he sees her from across the room he makes this squeaking noise (the only sounds he has made so far in almost two weeks). Booker seems to be handling the attention okay, although sometimes she barks at him when he really gets in there - and we are trying not to let him bug her too much, or to let him get any more excited over her than just sniffing and squeaking.

But I'm just wondering why he would be so fixated on Booker - she was spayed when she was 7 months old (11 years ago) but are there still some hormones she produces that might set Buzz off? Or should we have her checked out by the vet in case she has an infection or something that is making him interested in her like this?
BookerMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Intact male interested in spayed female?

I don't know, but my Princess is 8 years old and has been spayed for YEARS, but my super stud (Tanna) is constantly wooing her. She DOES tell him off tho - in no uncertain terms! She's at least 15 pounds bigger than he is, so she CAN kick his behind if she wants to. I'm constantly telling him to leave her alone.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Our boys see females and go crazy for them. It doesn't matter if they are spayed. They actually go crazy when they meet any new dog.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know why either. Jersey was the object of obsession this weekend though. Mike's mom and dad have a Yorkie/Chihuahua mix that kept trying to mount Jersey plus their neighbors dog came over when we were outside and followed her around with his nose up Jersey's butt.
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can tell you that in the reverse it is certainly possible that a neutered male can be interested and even tie with an intact female. I've never experienced the opposite. All of our females are intact.

With all the reproduction aspects aside...I definitely know that some animals seem to connect with certain other animals with a stronger bond. Our two males are very attached to each other and although the two females seem to be a little aggressive towards each other, I believe that somehow they know that they are half sisters.

Our male Tate is very attached to Maya and Jasmine, to the point of becoming their protector when they are in heat. He could care less about the little females we bring in for him for stud services. He's a slam, bam, thank you mam kind of stud with them. lol Now Sam on the other hand, really likes Tate a lot, but doesn't seem to care one way or another about the little females.

I'm really into psychology of humans, but recently have decided that trying to figure out the minds and actions of dogs is quite fun too.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh yes, I've had several of my neutered males TIE with the girls - I just consider it safe sex - the spayed females aren't interested though. When the girls are in heat Joe and Jack (littermates - and both neutered) get very jealous. Jack is very tender toward Bella - while Joe is more interested in Angel. But Jack and Bella (different mothers, same father) are always very close - and often snuggle.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Somehow I think a male knows that a dog is a female, whether they've been fixed or not. I'm not yet a beagle owner but my lab was fixed and his girlfriend Coco was fixed, but every time they met which was about once a month, he would try it on with her. Coco would let him get so far and then tell him where to go. This is kind of reversed to your situation but I truly believe that dogs know the opposite sex when they meet them, fixed or not. Also my lab would meet small female dogs and not be interested, but if he met a female lab at the dog park, he would not leave her alone. Your Beagle can recognize a good looking Beagle girl when he sees her.
Gindyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Roscoe was intact since we had studded him and he still had his moments of tring to mount Cassie (she was fixed), who would have none of it (well, except for the times she would try to mount him!). At times, you could tell there had to be a dog somewhere in the neighborhood that was in heat because Roscoe acted like a crazed man for a few days and all he wanted to do was walk around the backyard, whining and trying to find Cassie (actually, even Duke became a target after he joined us, but Roscoe was 13 and kind of senile by then).

Duke is still intact, because of the ER visits when he ate poinsonous mushrooms and aspirin, the vet suggested we wait until he's 2, just to make sure there's no belated effects on the liver and kidneys, so we have about 5 more months to wait. He will on occasion try to play with Violet (fixed), but not often thank goodness. As soon as we can get him altered, in to the vet he goes! I learned my lesson with Roscoe. Though we hadn't studded him since he was 4 y/o, we kept thinking we may want to some day and take the pup as stud fees to have one of his offspring. Well, that day never came and then he had eye site issues and somehow the nueter never happened and I regret that we didn't take care of it when he was young, even though it never caused major issues, I think it would have been easier for him to not have the urges as much.
Advertisement