Settle a discussion/arguement - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Settle a discussion/arguement

I need some advice or answers. We have two beagles, one has a square snout, the other a pointy snout. Both are register, pure-bred beagles. But they look completely different, except their coloring, both are tri-colored, but Casie is more tan than brown. Okay, so I said, to a woman, we have two beagles, one is English (square snout) and the other is American (pointed snout)
and she said there is no difference between the two...one must not be a beagle. Now I've looked at pictures, read articles that say completely different, but are the articles wrong or the woman? It doesn't bother me, but this is nuts. Any help out there?

Cathy J

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Settle a discussion/arguement

You have two registered beagles. No worries there. Its just that they may not meet the standard set by whatever group you are discussing it with.

I believe the the square vs. pointed nose is a show vs. field beagle attitude.

FYI: English beagles are 16, American beagles are 15/13
Murphys Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

If you see that woman again, tell her to stay out of things she has NO IDEA about!
You have 2 beagles, both pure-bred, both are BEAGLES.

I hate it when people need to prove a point and thing they are right.

I would say what I would tell that woman, but this is a family friendly forum!
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not used to seeing American beagles because here in Australia we import a lot of English beagles, and the type of beagles we have here reflect this. So I find the beagles on this forum look quite different to what we see here!

Both are still beagles - but there is definitely a difference between the two! Even the standard between American and English beagles (read the AKC standard and then read the English or Australian version!) have differences in them.

Become a fan on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/evilbeagle?ref=ts
Smeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyIf you see that woman again, tell her to stay out of things she has NO IDEA about!
Not beagle-related, but we went through the same thing when my twins were very young. We had a lady INSIST that they were identical twins despite the fact that one is a boy and one is a girl. I said, no, one has an innie and one has an outie.

I guess she didn't realize I was speaking about their belly buttons...
Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know if it means anything but Maggie comes from a line of field beagles and she has a more pointed nose. I would just ignore the woman who told you one isn't a beagle. I was in Petco one day and the Nutro rep asked me what kind of dog Maggie is. I thought she was joking but when I looked at her, I could see it was a serious question. She seemed surprised when I said a beagle. There is no way you could mistake Maggie for anything but a beagle. A man shopping with his granddaughter stopped me later in the store and said he wouldn't buy dog food from someone who couldn't recognize a beagle. He said his granddaughter was 3 and as soon as she saw Maggie she said look at the beagle dog. I just laugh about it.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: jassyMaggie comes from a line of field beagles and she has a more pointed nose.
Winston too!
But my sister was convinced his ears were way to small...so I informed her she doesn't know her beagle from her basset.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I guess mine must not be beagles either, then? Chloe has a much more pointy nose than some of the others, but she is a TINY little girl from field lines - while Lottie is definitely square - Lottie's parents are both show champions. Joe is more pointy, Jack is more square - both are registered LITTERMATES - and I know for a fact (I was there when they were created), that they have the same dad. Romeo was definitely more square - Tanna is a little more pointy - Bella is a combination of her parents - not as square as Lottie, or as pointy as Tanna. Would she like to see THEIR papers? Angel is a combination - of her parents, too (JoJo and Tanna). I have 5 generation research pedigrees on most of mine. She should mind her own business.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dughallmorbeagles

Hehe, this thread just made me remember some of the comments i've had over the years.........I was out with our Beagles one day and there was a group of people walking towards us oohing and aahing at the dogs and one of them, a tweedy old gentleman announced very loudly Ah yes, Foxhounds, well done! Another woman felt the need to stop me and question me at length about what type of Beagles mine were (??!) she then informed me that they were Harriers! (okay luv, if you say so!) I also get alot of Aww, look at the cute Bassets (have they ever actually SEEN a Basset Hound??!)
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much, some people just can't help themselves, they think they know it all because they once had a friend who had a sister who used to have a Beagle.....and they usually end up showing their ignorance! I have a friend with a Beagle from a working pack.......she has more of a pointy nose, longer legs and shorter ears, but she's still a Beagle and a very beautiful one at that, she may not do well in the show-ring but i'm pretty sure she could show my lot a thing or two in the field!
dughallmorbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Elvis is a Beagle/Treeing Walker mix. He confuses a lot of people. It's fun.
Advertisement