Tips on introducing a new pet - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips on introducing a new pet

Hello everyone,
I will be bringing in a new addition to my family.
She is a 1 year old beagle. My question is what is the best way to introduce her to my other dogs. I have a 2 year old male beagle and a 2-1/2 year old male basset hound cross. My beagle is extremely friendly, so I'm not too worried about him. My basset hound is also really friendly, but sometimes he is a little bit more unpredictable (but not aggressive) I'm guessing he is the more dominant one.
Also, the little girl beagle is friendly too, but a little bit more shy.
What can I do to make the transition to a new home with other dogs easier for her, as well as the addition to her in my boys life/environment?

Any help would be great
Thanks
Ivy Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tips on introducing a new pet

Most people will say to introduce them on neutral ground such as a park, which is good advice if it's practical for you.

I have a fenced side yard which adjoins the front yard where the beagles have their area. When I bring a new kid into my pack I usually keep the new kid separate for a day or two - and let them get acquainted through the fence. Not everyone has that luxury though. Then after the new kid has seen my vet, I start introducing them one at a time to the new kid. Otherwise it's overwhelming (since I have 9 dogs). It doesn't really take long - and soon they're all friends.
I'm glad you found your little beagle girl! Congratulations! We want LOTS of pictures.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately my yard is not fenced in. I have a 200 yard line that crosses the whole lawn that I attach the boys to. Would putting out another line just close enough for them to sniff eachother be okay? Should I put her in her crate indoors and just let them sniff eachother through that for a little?
Ivy Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's probably your best bet - especially since you're bringing her into THEIR territory. Usually with mine, as soon as they get used to the scents, they're fine.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely try to introduce them on neutral ground - give them a chance to sniff each other out and get to know each other. If it is possible to do this relatively close to home and then walk home together that can work well - then they all arrive home together. After the initial meeting it really depends on how they are getting along... you pretty much have to play it by ear to see if they are getting along okay or if any one of the three need more space and alone time... but both beagles and bassets are pack animals so they probably will do fine. Good luck and keep us all posted!
BookerMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement