How often do you bathe your Beagles? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How often do you bathe your Beagles?

Seems ours get kinda oily after 4 to 6 months so they get the shower treatment 2 to 3 times a year. We are flea free, from day one (7 and 8 years respectively now) which is amazing considering we got ours 'used' (both were rescue dogs) so we don't flea dip or anything. They only get shampooed when they get too oily, or when they rolled in something. So how often is it recommended to bathe our hounds, and what do you use? We have some citrus shampoo, with of all things, a Beagle on the front of the bottle (we didn't pick that brand for that reason, no seriously, we didn't!) but it claims no harsh chemicals. Sure makes them soft for a good month or so. And they smell like oranges for a good day or two too!
WorshipTheBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How often do you bathe your Beagles?

Ours stay outside during the day and sleep with us each night. They get a bath 2 days before their flea treatment at the least and more (mostly spray offs) when it rains. We don't use any dog shampoos though, we use tearfree Sauve baby shampoo.

Yesterday we decided to give all the dogs baths outside. The Boxer was first and he always love to *spin his wheels* aka kick up dirt. Then Beagle Lillie had her bath and while we were washing Beagle Chloe, it was discovered that Beagle Lillie decided to roll in Boxer Phatham's dirt! So Beagle Lillie got 2 baths!

Beagle Chloe
Stray Jack--We believe him to be Beagle/Jack Russell Terror
Boxer Phantom--rescued June 08, 7 yrs old

RIP Beagle Lillie 02/07/2009
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Maggie gets a bath every other week...sometimes once a week if she needs it. I use AvoDerm Natural Puppy Shampoo, and I've not had any problem with dry skin from the frequent bathing.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
rad

Chica generally gets a bath whenever she smells, is REALLY dirty, or is due to stay with friends if we are heading out on a trip. We use a generic store-brand dog shampoo.

Collect the whole food chain!
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Daisy was a rescue, and I know she had a bath right before I came to see her. It's been a year, and I've only given her a full bath once. She (thankfully) doesn't smell 'doggy', so I only need to wash her paws if she's been digging, which again, is thankfully rare.

It's kind of interesting to me, because I've never had a white dog, (Daisy is a red/white beagle, mostly white), and I'm amazed that she remains so white despite her forays in the back yard and occasional escapes into the neighborhood. I will say that her feet smell - but it's that funny frito smell. My last dog was a terrier mix, and she had frito feet too. I don't find that offensive, rather endearing really.

IMO, unless your dog has rolled in something nasty, or smells for some other reason, there's not a real need to give them a bath. If they were wild dogs and not pets, they wouldn't be out there in the fields taking showers and fighting over the fluffy towels

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ours get baths every one or two months, or depending on how dirty they manage to get. Bones gave herself a Mountain Dew bath this weekend. At first we thought it was ok, since she and Spock were taking turns trying to lick it out of her fur, but her fur stiffened where the soda dried. We use a ginger-smelling shampoo and oatmeal-based conditioner - I forget the brand.
fauxpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

homer gets bathed every 1-2 months in the warmer season depending on how stinky he is and usually right before the cold comes rolling in he gets one-then not until it gets warm outside since he stays inside alot more then.we rinse him outside with the house once a week and that helps with the smell alot so i don't have to fight with the shampoo all over him
smoke20fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ours get baths every 3 to 4 months or so or if they are smelly. They are indoor doggies and go out in the back yard to play several hours a day. They stay fairly nice smelling most of the time.
Mom of 2 Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Molly gets a bath when she starts to smell or goes from a tri color to just two colors (dirt brown and darker dirt brown.) Since it has been raining so much we have so much mud she is getting one maybe once or twice a month, when I can't stand it anymore.
Nifferboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've been bathing Fin every couple weeks, at first it was mostly because I want to get him used to it. He was extremely difficult at first, but now is much calmer in the tub. I'm better at it too. I only spray myself once or twice now. But now I have to because the dog park near my home is mostly dirt and he gets filthy there. Also, sometimes he likes to walk in circles and poop at the same time and will step right in it. YUCK!
Advertisement