Why won't she just sleep at night?!? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why won't she just sleep at night?!?

Sorry for the wall of text.

I have posted about this before but I am running out of options. Scout is almost a year old now. She is crate trained. But she still has one lingering issue and its her sleeping at night. She doesn't sleep all the way through. Maybe its because she is crated all day (I let he rout at lunch for 20 minutes) and thats her night time? She has been crated since about day 1. I think it caused her not to get as attached to her crate and make it her den. Since she started off peeing in it because she just couldn't hold it. So when she was young I would wake up at night and take her out. Soon she was fine during the day but she still kept crying at night. First her crate was out in the Tv room. Then we moved it into our bedroom when she was 6 months and she did pretty well. Then around 7 months she started crying again. Since she is in the bedroom I just can't ignore her. And the days she would sleep all night (few and far between) I would wake up so much more rested.

So we started putting her across the house when she would wake up to cry so if she woke up again (she would wake up multiple times) I could ignore her. Its getting so bad that now I hae moved her into the guest bedroom across the house. Last night was the first night. She cried a blot when I put her in the crate at bedtime, but I didn't hear her all night. When I woke up to let her out in the morning I though I smelled pee. I checked her bedding (blankets) and they had some smell of pee but they weren't wet and I didn't see any wetness on the crate. I am not sure if she peed or if its just dog smell.

I am not sure what to do. What if it is pee? Should I ignore it and keep trying to break her from crying all night. I would figure at that age she should be sleeping. I know about controlling water and food intake at night but she is inconsistent. One time she would drink a gallon of water right before bed and sleep all night. Another time she would drink and then pee outside and then cry all night. My next step is taking the bedding out of the crate tonight and see if I see signs of pee in the morning. I want to be able to move her back into the bedroom if I can. I remember asking my vet about it and she said have you tried ignoring the crying. Well the only way to do that is to move her to where I can easily ignore it or not hear it at all. It sucks that she never got the idea of sleeping all night. We keep her up until bedtime and play and run around with her. Even if right before she is starting to fall asleep on the couch and we put her in her crate, she will cry.

I feel the problem is I got up too much when she was younger and she knows that if she cried I will get up. She has me trained and I don't know how to break her.
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Why won't she just sleep at night?!?

I'm not sure I understand how much exercise and activity she is getting during the day. Beagles need to burn that pent up energy, or they'll be a nightmare. Especially if she is crated all day. I would take her for a few mile intensive walk every evening. She will love it, and you will love the good night sleep. Also, if you have a dog park around your area, a few times a week will do wonders!
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I walk her on average 1-1.5 hours a day, about 4-5 miles, about 2 miles when I get home from work and another 2 before bedtime. I even pick up a friend's dog about 3 times a week to play for about 3-3.5 hours. She even cries on those days. I tried finding a pattern when she would sleep all night and I just couldn't.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have an objection to her sleeping out of the crate at night? I'm not saying in bed with you because I know there are some that don't like that but maybe if you set up a dog bed in your room she would be more content? I know our dogs are up and down off the bed at night if they get too warm or feel crowded.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know if this is sound information or not, but we've done it with both of our boys and it seemed to work. She's got you very well trained with the crying, much like what little kids will do. I cry, mommy comes Do the night time routine, drink, treat, outside, whatever, and then put her in her crate. If you want to put the crate in your room, do so, but make sure that it is in a darker area, I used our closet to block out any light. When the puppy would wake up and cry, I'd go over, pet them once, and say good night. Then without any pizazz, I went back to bed, and ignored anymore crying, if I would have gotten up played, etc., we would have had a major problem with wanting to play at night. I suppose if she has to go out, you can try the outside trick, and then straight back into the crate...no playing, no treats, etc. Make sure that you praise her for her efforts and be consistent. Sounds like she might miss you during the day, and thinks night is the time you are home for fun and games, ???????

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

First of all no dog will or does sleep all night long without waking. Dogs sleep more than us but they wake more often too. They have many more periods of wakefullness in the night than we do but make up for it by napping during the day. This is normal for dogs.

Most of us don't notice our dogs waking in the night because we are asleep. We only notice if our dogs make a noise.

So the question really is whether or not she is peeing in her crate. A year old dog should be able to hold it for 8 hours as long as the last drink wasn't too late or too big but not always. I sometimes have to get up in the night to pee and so I expect my dogs might need to too.

She may have peed quite early on in the night and it had dried so that's why you could smell it but not feel it.
When she cries and you get up and let her out does she always pee? if not then she is just crying for attention.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: beaglechaserDo you have an objection to her sleeping out of the crate at night? I'm not saying in bed with you because I know there are some that don't like that but maybe if you set up a dog bed in your room she would be more content? I know our dogs are up and down off the bed at night if they get too warm or feel crowded.
I was thinking the same thing. Daisy will wake if she's in her crate but if I let her sleep out of it (either with me or in her bed on the floor) she typically does fine.
DaisysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah its hard to get her to calm down and sleep at night, plus we don't trust her just yet to be able to walk around the house with us asleep. We wouldn't mind getting to the point where she could sleep outside of the crate. Its mostly my fault, even when I let her out at night I just put her in the back yard and wait for her to come back to the door. But it was right back to the crate when she came to the door. I guess I will try this to see, I assume that she will get it sometime.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

LOL - I wouldn't trust my crew to have the run of the house at night either!! We keep the bedroom door closed and there is nothing on the floor that they can hurt. They often sleep in our kids rooms too, but same thing, door closed. I think given the opportunity they would stay in our room but I bought a locking garbage can for a reason!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hmm yeah we might try to just close our door and keep her in the bedroom. The big problem is her respecting a bed time. At least when she goes in her crate she knows that she should sleep (well sometimes). I guess if we got in bed and turned the lights off she would get the idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement