AKC Registered Name - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default AKC Registered Name

Ok, I'm finally back from NM and low and behold the breeder finally sent Daisy's registration papers!! So, now I am trying to decide on her registered name? I've never had a registered dog. Are there rules to naming? Can you just use the dog's name that you call them daily?
DaisysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: AKC Registered Name

Nope - not really any rules, but sometimes the breeder has a litter 'theme' like 'A' litter and all the pup's registered names start with 'A'.

Daisy was from the B litter which meant her registered name is *kennel name* Bellis - which means Daisy in latin Some breeders have a more specific theme, like cars, movies, words etc.

My sibe was our first pedigree dog and we named him Huskytrail Micha Zhivago, so he had his call name and his 'second' name was for the russian movie Dr Zhivago.

You can have so much fun with registered names!! There is a letter restriction, I think its 25 - but it does include the kennel name. So if the kennel name is (for eg) BEAGLE then you have 19 letters to play with (including spaces) for your dogs registered name.

You can also look at the parents names and have a play on that. What is the kennel name/how many letters do you have to work with?

ETA: I have heard some hillarious ones over the years. Over here we have a show Border Collie whose registered named is *kennel* fallen angel, call name is Splat -

I love when the registered names is a play on words with the call name. I know some mini schnauzers with the names:

Kyushu Fire Krakka
Call name - 'Sparky'

Kyushu Play Hard To Get
Call name - 'Teaser'

I've heard another one which was *kennel* Don't Funk with me - call name funky

There are so many great ones.

Become a fan on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/evilbeagle?ref=ts
Smeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think that there are many rules for naming. I just registered Zoey and I went thru alot of webpages looking at differant names and the trend seemed to be Owners name-dog description-name the dog is called daily. I named her "Joshua's Impossible Zoey". She got the name because as I was in the process of registering her she was on a mission to steal the AKC papers from my hand. Shes big enough now that she can jump in my lap and managed to snatch the papers off the computer desk twice

I've been flagged
zoeyspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I've only had one registered dog, and I named him myself. His name was: Bocephus (I like Hank Williams, Jr.) Bayenne (Bo seldom barked, his vocalizing was a beautiful bay) Bleu (for the tone of his bays).

Bocephus Bayenne Bleu was a good-looking fellow and, I believe, very aptly named. We still fondly recall his wonderful baying.

Let us know what you decide will be Daisy's registered name.
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I was told by a few different people that if you don't give your dog a first and last name the AKC will assign the number as the last name (or example "Abby the sixth")....not sure if that is actually true though.

I thought long and hard about Abby's "registered" name. I settled on Abby Coralynne Miller I wanted her to have a "human" sounding name. Cora and Lynne are special family names so I smushed them together and made them her middle name since "Abby" fit her so perfectly.
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Chloe is registered with UKC, and I chose her name.
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had no idea what to put on Maggie's registration papers so I just put Maggie May, then added Noel to the end because she was born on Christmas Eve.

Her Father's name is Ch Barren Hill's Bow, and her Mother's name is Barren Hill's Lady. But the customer service person I talked to at the AKC said I couldn't name her Barren Hill's Maggie because the breeder didn't give permission to use an AKC registered kennel name.

If you're thinking of using the registered kennel name, check the back of your AKC registration application. Where it says "Litter Owner Step 3", look and see if the breeder signed it. If she did, you can use the kennel name. Hope that makes sense!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, lil maggie, the system definitely works differently in the US than it does here in Oz!

Here, the breeder either decides the registered names or asks the puppy owners, then pays for and sends in the application for the papers. They then send the papers to the puppy owners or gives it to them when they pick the puppy up. There is no option to not include the kennel name, but most pet puppies are on limited registered so it doesn't really matter anyway. You can use the pedigree name when you compete in dog sports like obedience and agility which is cool.

Become a fan on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/evilbeagle?ref=ts
Smeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Chloe's dad is called Lynard Skynard... which is perfect since I love "Sweet Home Alabama".... hehe
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

JoJo was my first registered dog and I promised her breeder I'd keep the "Joe" name (her sire's name is Little Joe Vom Donner)since "Joe" is prominent in the line. I knew when she was born I'd call her "JoJo" - her registered name is "Joe's Crescent Moon" - she has a beautiful crescent shape on her left hip. When it came time to name her pups that I kept, I named them after JoJo and Tanna (Mojave Desert Santana - who was already named when I got him) - so they are "Jo-Tan's Little Dancing Joe" (got both parents, AND grandparents - his maternal great grandma is "Windwalker's Dancing Cloud, which I thought was really pretty, in there), and "Jo-Tan's Miracle Angel" - since we almost lost her she was our miracle baby. Their other "boy", my "Jack", I didn't name - except for his "identfying name" that I call all pups by - his was "Jack" for "Little Jack Horner" because he always crept into the corner of the whelping box and got stuck and YELLED to be rescued. The people that bought him kept the "Jack", but his registered name is "Sniff 'n Snack Palouse Jack". Bella was really sick when she was about a month old - so she's my other little angel - but JoJo isn't her mom, Bella's registered name is "My Little Bella Angel". I can't use a kennel name, since I can't participate in AKC activities I can't register a kennel name with them. There are ALL kinds of ways to come up with unusual names. It's kind of strictly up to you - but if you come up with something that's already used, you'll have to have an alternate.

JoJo's dam is "Kinky Little Spot Vom Donner" - they were afraid the "kinky" wouldn't be acceptable, but it was. She is very ticked - hence the "spot", and "kinky" because she had a broken tail as a puppy and it's CROOKED (kinked).

IF I were to keep more JoJo/Tanna pups they'd all have the Jo-Tan name.

Here's the AKC site link - you'll find a lot of info there.

http://www.akc.org/reg/registeradog.cfm
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement