2 Beagles vs 1? Feedback? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 Beagles vs 1? Feedback?

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Beagle ownership. My wife and I own a 2 year old beagle here in Santa Barbara, CA. We are considering purchasing a 2nd beagle, either a 3 month old male or female. We're unaware of the dynamics of owning 2 dogs at one time, specifically 2 beagles at one time. Can anyone give us feedback on how "life changes" with 2?

A bit more about our situation:
1) We're a young married couple with no kids yet
2) We work from home
3) We have the space for a 2nd dog
4) Our current Beagle is a beta male and very social, so our main reason for getting a second beagle is companionship for him.

Thanks in advance! We may be making the "decision" today or tomorrow, so the quicker the response the better!
ziagroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2 Beagles vs 1? Feedback?

Forgot to mention, any recommendations on whether to get a male or a female, if we currently have a 2 year old beta male? Our neighbors have a 3 year old male puggle (dominant) and they play every afternoon (our landlord even installed a "doggie gate" between our two yards)
ziagroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome!! I only have one beagle, but there are other's here that have multiples, and should be able to give you lot's of feedback. Your 'situation' sounds perfect for another beagle though!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Think of getting a female and have them both neutered. They will be good friends.
angelaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had more than one beagle at a time (and right now my beagle is one of -- and the smallest of -- three dogs).

If all the dogs are spayed/neutered, it won't really matter what gender you get.

I think my dogs are happier as a small "pack." When my husband and I first made the decision to have a multiple beagle household, one of the pluses was that each of us had a dog to walk! And there's double the cuddlling on the couch in the evening!

The more beagles the merrier -- although when we got more than one, we started feeding both of them in their crates. Kept the mealtime craziness to a minimum.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I support "the more beagles the merrier" opinion. I only have one, but as soon as I have the room for it and enough money - I'm going to get another beagle friend for Chloe.
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

We have 4 dogs. Li'l Girl is the beagle, and we have three others. Two of the others are male, and one is female. All are spayed or neutered and, as a rule, they get along well. There's even a calico cat thrown in the mix. She's the boss, so no one dares cross her.
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I vote yes to add another doggie. Add a female, then you will have a girl and a boy. We have a girl and a boy and they are best friends. Our girl is dominant. We got ours together as puppies. Ours are not brother and sister.

Your little boy with have a playmate. And someone to be with him when you are gone from the house. Both doggies will have their own personalities.
Mom of 2 Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi - my name is Kim & I am a multi-Beagle owner & I hope I never go bak to just 1. First, let me say that since Beagles are a pack breed, they do better with a companion - two or more Beagles together. Now, af for me personally, I had a Yorki-Poo when I got my first Beagle - Shiloh. Oreo was 12+ years when I got Shiloh as an 8 week old pup. They soon became best buds & were VERY close. Shiloh knew nothing about being an only dog - he had gone straight from being in a litter of 4 other pups plus his mom to being in a different place but he was not alone - Oreo was there when I was gone at work. With Oreo's advancing age, the way my 2 dogs had bonded that I better have another dog in place when it was time for Oreo to leave for the Rainbow Bridge. (And yes, I had become use to living with 2 dogs so the 2nd dog was something for me too). Having 2 dogs around is so much fun - yes, it is a bit more work & a bit more expensive but oh, so worth it. And once you get into a routine - the bit of extra work amounts to nothing. Anyway, my 2nd was also an 8 week old pup, a female named Shasta - oh, Shiloh is a neutered male. Shasta had a VERY short show career so she was not spayed until after she was a year old. Shiloh has always been great with Shasta. I was a little worried about Shiloh (+16 inches tall & 37 pounds) being around Shasta but he must have learned well from Oreo about how to behave & play with a small pup because Shiloh & Shasta are now best buds - he puts up with alot from Shasta cause she is so much more rambunctious & energetic, even now at 19 months. I would love to get another but not where I live now - oh I own my house but it is a duplex with a small fenced yard. Before I get a third, I'd like to be in a single unit house with a little bigger yard.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Duke has 2 senior labs and a cat as his companions, and I agree that they really do enjoy having playmates. Though the labs are older and don't always want to play, Duke can usually get one of them or kitty to play with him.

The labs grew up together, being just a year apart, and I really think it helped us to have 2. Believe it or not, they got into less trouble because they entertained each other, which kept them from looking for something else (trouble) to entertain themselves with.

It is more expensive, but not horribly so unless one gets sick and you can't predict that, no matter how many you have. Duke has cost us more in ER vet bills from eating what he shouldn't than the other 3 combined, and he's only 1!
Advertisement