How much should my beagle weigh? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much should my beagle weigh?

Chipper has forever been heavier than most beagles, because he is part basset. His body is that of a basset except for his beautiful face, and fur. So he is heavy. Before we started treating him for his heart problem, he weight 44 lbs, at his last weigh in he was down to 37....but he looks like a starved dog. Bones, and bones are sticking out all over. I know this is terrible, but I'd rather have him pudgy.

So how much should he weigh? He is technically a 13" beagle....about 10 years old.

Thanks,
Cathy J cobismom

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: How much should my beagle weigh?

Abby is 15" beag and currently weighs 37lbs. Vet wants her down to 32"

If his bones are sticking out he's too thin.

Quote:
Quote:
How to tell if your pet is pudgy:
Touch is the best way to measure. Place your thumbs on your pet's spine and spread your fingers across its rib cage. You should be able to discern each rib easily, there should be no more than a thin layer of fat over the ribs. If it feels spongy, if you can't find the ribs, your pet is overweight. Viewed from above, your pet should clearly have shoulders, ribs, waist and hips. If there is no waist, or if the waist is bigger than the hips, your pet isn't pudgy, it's FAT!
I'm looking for the chart my vet uses, didn't find exact one, but here is one similar:
http://www.purina.com/dogs/health/Ad...yCondChart.pdf

Here is a chart that is very similar to the one my vet ran through with me:
http://www.dogstop.com/healthforum/body.htm
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Molly weighs 26 lbs. She was up to 32 last year. She is 8 years old and on the smaller side of height. She also was diagnosed with hypothryoidism. She is on medicine twice a day now. She is so much happier in her disposition too!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Toby is 12" tall and 29lbs. I would really be happy for him to be more in the 26-27 range, but he is not overweight at 29lbs. Truly, trust your vet on this one. If the weight contributes to the heart problem, you don't want to keep him heavier, of course. Let your vet give you a number that is best for Chipper. Your vet can judge better than any of us!! Just like with people frame size and such will make a difference, too.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Chloe is 13" and very thin looking. The truth is that her built is just very narrow. Her ribs are not showing, and when you feel her side, you won't feel the ribs unless you put a tiny bit of pressure..... She looks very athletic to me.

I would like her to put on another lb, but it's not working. She is stable at 16 lb, maybe 17....
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maggie is still a baby, but Molly was 15" and weighed 29-31 lbs. When she started getting above the 30 lb. mark, the vet switched her dog food to the lite version.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bloom is 12" and weights 25lbs.
My vet said that's perfect for her. But I think she is too thin.
All the other beagles we meet are a lot bigger than Bloom. Even the females.
Redsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rosa is 14 inches and weighs 33 pound. I'd like her to lose 2 pound or so and I'm working on it but nothings shifted yet.

She has a waist but she has a thicker than I would like layer of fat over her ribs and shoulders, you have to press firmly to feel her ribs.

Sherry is 15 1/2 inches and weighs 32 pounds. She has a longer and wider bone frame and her ribs are very easy to feel. I like the way she is and she looks a lot better than Rosa.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Kioko is still a puppy (8 months old), so her weight will be bigger as she matures, but she currently weighs 16 pounds and is 13" tall. I think she looks too skinny, but the vet says this is normal for her age and that she is perfect.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you ask me, the shoulders-hips check is the line between pudgy and health problem. If the dog has a visible waistline and shoulder line pronounced against their belly, they are doing OK. Of course as a dog ages the only thing that keeps them from all sorts of health problems like bad joints, heart problems, etc is a healthy weight. Your vet should be the ultimate authority on this, since they look at the difference between skinny, pudgy, and overweight dogs all day.
jeffmeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement