Our Beagle World Forums banner

Licking...

26K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  pbanjames 
#1 ·
Hello there!

like I said previously I recently started enjoying my first beagle, does everyone else's Beagle lick CONSTANTLY?? When I pet her she's licking me, when you are putting on her leash she's licking me, when she's standing next to me she's licking my leg, when she's on my lap she's licking me...do they all do that? Or is this a nervous thing?

My husband is alittle worried that she's nervous because I know we joke about them being hyper dog but she literally NEVER sits still unless she's in her crate.

#2 ·
I know what you mean!!!! Whenever i sit to pet pepper she turns her head so she can lick my hand, or if im standing next to her she starts licking my legs.... Or if she isnt getting any attention she starts licking the wood floor boards? I'd say they just like to taste everything as much as they like to smell it all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

#6 ·
I am at home with Kioko all day, and so is my 4 year-old daughter. Her licking with the two of us is reasonable. By that, I mean that she will lick any part of us that is put directly in front of her at least once or twice. She's very affectionate that way.

My husband, on the other hand, is the only member of our pack that does not stay home. He is gone during work hours, and when he IS home, Kioko will not STOP licking him. She would sit and lick his head or face or hands or whatever...as long as he would let her.

I don't know what any of that means, really; it's just something I've noticed.

#7 ·
The licking is a slightly submissive, very affectionate gesture. Watch a video of a pack of wolves and watch how they greet the leader/show affection to each other. It usually includes lots of licking and tail wagging and body wiggles we'd recognize in our beags! Dogs are very in tune with their pack, so licking to show affection, excitement, submission, curiousity, etc, is normal. If the licking is getting too extreme for you try teaching the pup to give kisses or only lick when you give a cue (rubbing the chest, scratching ears, whatever). My dad has never let dogs lick his face, so Henry usually has to sneak those licks in while his Poppy is busy working on some project (and sweatin' and cussin')!

#9 ·
Duke will lick some, but not constantly. He'd rather play. But my lab, Cassie, is such a licker. We have a friend that has learned not to wear shorts because Cassie will pass him and do what he termed a "drive-by licking". LOL

#12 ·
I've never had a dog that licks much. My first dog Lilly was not a licker. Rosa will lick my feet but I'm sure this is just because they taste nice (to her anyway lol) but I don't let her do it because I don't think it's nice. Sherry licks Rosa but not me much, maybe the odd hand lick here and there.

If my dog constantly licked me at every opportunity I would take steps to stop it I think as it could become a compulsive habit.

#13 ·
I have seen some compulsive lickers/groomers too, Jennifer. I'm wondering if Miley's getting plenty of exercise since I believe it was mentioned before that she's a high energy girl. If she's over a year and you get the okay from your vet, you might want to try jogging with her or even agility.

#15 ·
Yeah, she's high energy alright. We work during the day but she does get alot of exercise - I walk her for 45 minutes before work, my husband comes home at lunch and walks her for another 45 minutes, she has the run of the house after 5 pm (which involves chasing my 3 kids), I take her for a really long walk/jog in the evening - usually about an hour and a half.

#16 ·
With 10 beagles here, I have one that has a "nickname" of Miss Lick Lick (JoJo - she "can't control her licker"), some that are "occasional" lickers, some are compulsive lickers - some never lick. I don't really LIKE being licked all the time - so it isn't a "habit I encourage" - however, they do all "lick" each other a lot. My vet says it's a "submissive" thing. I fostered one beagle that drove me crazy - I got to sleep in wet sheets every night - she constantly licked the bedding /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif - from what her owner says she STILL does it. Chloe knows I don't like it, so she doesn't lick ME - but she is constantly cleaning everyone else up! She washes their faces, their ears, it's like it's her JOB to keep everyone clean. The only time she licks me is when we're in bed she will sometimes "wash my toes". Prinny is another one who "can't control her licker" - and Joe will give me little "kissies", but he also is almost obsessive about washing ears and faces. They don't seem to MIND being "cleaned up". I don't know what to tell you except that some seem to be "lickers" and others aren't!

#17 ·
The Bagel doesn't consider the day complete until he has licked me. I liken it to what a human would call a good night kiss. When I go to bed each night, the Bagel joins me and persists till he succeeds in licking an arm, hand or face. If I try to hide under a sheet, he is determined and he soon taught me to offer my arm or hand because if all he can find is my face, that's what gets licked, Fortunately, one time a day for 30 to 45 seconds is typical but if he attempts to continue, I discourage him, usually with a belly rub /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif It is a level of compulsion I can tolerate.

#18 ·
Sounds like Miley gets lots of exercise! That's really good for her though. You could try some obedience with her too. Although beagles can be stubborn, most dogs in general like pleasing their owners and learning new things.

#21 ·
We have taught Sam NOT to lick us at all, however I do find that for some reason lately he is licking the living room furniture. That may be due to the fact that I recently started caring for infants in my home and of course there are little bottle drips, spit ups, etc... that I may not clean off as good as I could.

Maya, on the other hand, just won't stop. No matter how hard we try to teach her not to lick us she just can't seem to keep that tongue in her mouth. My daughter has resorted to putting Tabasco on her chin and letting Maya lick it once to discourage the face licking. It seems to be working for her, but I won't do that so she still tries to lick me whenever she can.

Tate is like Sam. Neither of them have ever really had any desire to lick us.

It's weird that they say licking is a submissive gesture because our boys, Sam and Tate are both very submissive, while Maya and her retractable tongue is the one always trying to show dominance. Strange.

#24 ·
Licking is usually submissive but because's she the only girl Maya might feel like she has to claim you...he he, that's my MOM!

#26 ·
Vinny will get in my wifes lap every night and try to lick her neck because he likes the smell of the soap she uses at night. And anytime I come back from the gym Vince will try to get his licks in on me before I hit the shower.

What oddballs these beags of ours are /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.