Ears - Shaking head - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ears - Shaking head

Well, now that I know my precious Pooh Bear does not have cancer, I can concentrate on his ear problem. He shakes his head a lot and scratches at his ears. I had him in recently and the vet tech cleaned his ears. She said they looked fine and didn't show any signs of infection or yeast. What do you all use to clean the ears and how often do you do this? Pooh Bear has very long pretty ears.
Mom of 2 Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Ears - Shaking head

From the vet I use Virbac Epi-Otic ear cleaner.You can make your own ear cleaner from apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol which I use to use too.

I clean Abby's ears everytime they get wet (up in NY with all the snow she was playing in I did it every couple of days), or when she gets her nails clipped; about every six weeks.

The bottle of Epi-Otic says two to three times a week to daily for routine use.
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I use OtiRinse that I got from the vet. I just rinse Chloe's ears with it once a week or every other week, rub the base of the ear, let her shake and wipe the residue with a cotton ball.

If his ears are clean, maybe he has something that is bothering him further inside his ear cannal. You can ask the vet to check it with a special microscope...
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

We also use Epi-Otic. Sparky had yeast infections in his ears when we adopted him. The vet gave me drops to put in them twice a day. He also showed me how to clean them once a day with the Epi-Otic. He flooded (not just a few drops)the ear canals with it, held the flaps down and held Spark's head so he wouldn't shake it out. Then he massaged it in deep right against the skull, but from the outside. Then he stuffed a wad of cotton in one ear and wiped out the other with more cotton before going back to the first one to wipe it out. It takes longer to describe than it took him to do it. There was nothing neat about it. The stuff went everywhere.
Sadie and Sparky get a bath every week or two. The last part of our routine before they get out of the tub is the Epi-Otic. (and a quick face rinse just in case it got in their eyes)
Sadie saw the vet today. Her teeth look so so, but the doc said her ears look "great". :thumbup:
Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Did she check for yeast and mites?
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I've used Epi Otic and it works well. Jersey's last ear infection wasn't clearing up so the vet gave me different cleaner and drops. We had been using Animax with Epi Otic. Instead, they gave me Ottomax and a cleaner that they mix at the office. It worked great and Jersey hasn't had an infection since then (a good 6 months now).
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use baby wipes, I have always been told by my vet that squirting anything in their ears will make them worse, even the cleaning solution.
Spencer's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement