Ever Hear of a Beagle That Does Not Howl? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ever Hear of a Beagle That Does Not Howl?

Buddy does not howl! He is so quiet, the only time you hear anything from him is when his big brother (Rottie) barks at someone outside, he gets his little butt right next to him and barks. Sounds like a high pitch little bark, but I canot get him to howl!

Our other Beagle, Alibabba (lived to 16 1/2, he went to the Rainbow Bridge last year.) howled all the time! Pick me up, put me on the couch, feed me, pay attention to me or don't look at me like that :eyes:
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Ever Hear of a Beagle That Does Not Howl?

Well - aparantly Buddy doesn't howl. No really, I know a beagle, Abby (Chloe's best friend) that is soooooooo quiet. When her owners hear a bark, they party! and they are use to having a howler at home (their previous beagle howled all the time).
They love listening to Chloe howl, and even she only howls at the park when something happens, or when she is very suspicious of something at home...
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Caesar doesn't howl. When we go on walks and other dogs bark at him he just stares at them like "What's your problem?"
Sometimes he will bark at the cat or when he's having a temper tantrum. But I haven't heard an "arroooo" out of him since the second day we had him. He's just quiet guy.

To err is human, to forgive canine. -Anonymous

brandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Duke doesn't howl, at least not that we've heard yet. He doens't bark all that often, either, but when he does, it's loud!

Our 13 y/o lab, Roscoe, never barked. All his life, we've heard him bark maybe a total of 5 times. Then along came Duke. Duke will bug poor Roscoe, wanting to play, until Roscoe just barks and barks at him.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Abby howls when we put on Gretchen Wilson other than that she barks to get attention and yips when she finds a new smell
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

How old is he? Gage didn't howl for quite awhile, then he just started one day. He did bark once every so often at first, but once he started, he never really shut up. :biglaugh:
Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
bob
Banned

I've only heard the Bagel attempt to "howl" once and it was very pathetic. He felt compelled to join the neighborhood dogs in serenading a fire truck. He was the last to try and the first to stop and it might have been because I laughed at him.

He barks about once very two years (five times in the nine years, seven months he’s been with me) and for good cause like the police chasing the prowler through the back yard..

He does have a good voice and he will arrrooo if he gets first gets a scent, if he sees another dog and I don’t immediately let him go visit or if he sees a jackrabbit or other unobtainable prey!

His voice turns to a series of staccato yips as he follows a scent to a burrow or bush.

He also talks to me when he wants something when were in the vehicle. It could be just be 'I want to sniff' or something important like 'I need to whiz' but he communicates well! He barked once in the house (prowler) and has arroooed at me when there something in his backyard that shouldn’t be there and I was slow in opening the back sliding door. Usually it is a pigeon but he doesn’t bother the dove, quail or other birds, just pigeons.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Besides a little whimpering in her crate when she doesn't want us to leave, Beasley has remained as quiet as a church mouse...My last Beagle, Honey, would howl at anything and everything. So far, it's been a very nice change of pace.
gvschmokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, that is strange for me since our other Beagle never stopped! Buddy is almost 4 so if he has not by now, I doubt he will. We try to get him to howl by howling at us, he just looks at us like we are nuts
Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ralphey knows how, but he doesn't bark or howl unless he is very frustrated.

Hasn't made much noise at all since he learned to climb the steps, before that it drove him nuts that he couldn't come up and share the fun.
dademoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement