Our Beagle World Forums banner

Ever Hear of a Beagle That Does Not Howl?

27K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  JohnyPepperoni 
#1 ·
Buddy does not howl! He is so quiet, the only time you hear anything from him is when his big brother (Rottie) barks at someone outside, he gets his little butt right next to him and barks. Sounds like a high pitch little bark, but I canot get him to howl!

Our other Beagle, Alibabba (lived to 16 1/2, he went to the Rainbow Bridge last year.) howled all the time! Pick me up, put me on the couch, feed me, pay attention to me or don't look at me like that :eyes:

#2 ·
Well - aparantly Buddy doesn't howl. No really, I know a beagle, Abby (Chloe's best friend) that is soooooooo quiet. When her owners hear a bark, they party! and they are use to having a howler at home (their previous beagle howled all the time).
They love listening to Chloe howl, and even she only howls at the park when something happens, or when she is very suspicious of something at home...

#3 ·
Caesar doesn't howl. When we go on walks and other dogs bark at him he just stares at them like "What's your problem?"
Sometimes he will bark at the cat or when he's having a temper tantrum. But I haven't heard an "arroooo" out of him since the second day we had him. He's just quiet guy.

#4 ·
Duke doesn't howl, at least not that we've heard yet. He doens't bark all that often, either, but when he does, it's loud!

Our 13 y/o lab, Roscoe, never barked. All his life, we've heard him bark maybe a total of 5 times. Then along came Duke. Duke will bug poor Roscoe, wanting to play, until Roscoe just barks and barks at him.

#7 ·
I've only heard the Bagel attempt to "howl" once and it was very pathetic. He felt compelled to join the neighborhood dogs in serenading a fire truck. He was the last to try and the first to stop and it might have been because I laughed at him.

He barks about once very two years (five times in the nine years, seven months he’s been with me) and for good cause like the police chasing the prowler through the back yard..

He does have a good voice and he will arrrooo if he gets first gets a scent, if he sees another dog and I don’t immediately let him go visit or if he sees a jackrabbit or other unobtainable prey!

His voice turns to a series of staccato yips as he follows a scent to a burrow or bush.

He also talks to me when he wants something when were in the vehicle. It could be just be 'I want to sniff' or something important like 'I need to whiz' but he communicates well! He barked once in the house (prowler) and has arroooed at me when there something in his backyard that shouldn’t be there and I was slow in opening the back sliding door. Usually it is a pigeon but he doesn’t bother the dove, quail or other birds, just pigeons.

#9 ·
Wow, that is strange for me since our other Beagle never stopped! Buddy is almost 4 so if he has not by now, I doubt he will. We try to get him to howl by howling at us, he just looks at us like we are nuts /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

#11 ·
Marley is extremely vocal, considering I had a Cocker who rarely barked or anything. He barks and whines, and I guess howls too. But probably more the 'aroo' you guys always mention.

Excuse my Beagle inexperience, but what's an aroo and what's a howl?

#12 ·
I was kind of excited one day when Spock was new to the house and he heard the train go by a mile away or so and let out the tinest, cutest little howl. My grandma's beagle/basset hound Bullwinkle used to howl at the train (the tracks were 3 houses away) every time it passed, but was otherwise extremely quiet. But Spock hasn't been interested in letting out anything else so melodious since then, despite my best attempts to howl along for encouragement /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Ah well.

He did bark this morning at the garbage truck, which happened to pass just as he saw me slip out the side gate to push the recycling out. He had kind of a little panic attack and ran around the yard barking at the doors and jumping high up on the bricks until he saw me come back in, and then he would not quit whimpering. My boyfriend worked from home this morning so that the puppy would have his daddy to comfort him in his nervousness. He's fine tonight. If that's what's going to make him bark, I'll be glad to not hear it anytime in the near future. My poor little anxious pup!

#13 ·
You lucky people who own a quiet beagle.

Out of our three as I am sure I have said before, the girls are very quiet. Gwenni is an angel and very rarely barks, Foxy barks and is noisy when playing but they are good girls.

Oh but Mister Barkalot AKA Caleb - he drives us nuts, hes has to vocalise every emotion and desire, he must be the whingiest whiniest dog I have ever met.

He will bark for the sake of barking. He barks at 6am every morning like a furry alarm clock.

He had been like this since a tiny puppy.

He even outbarked the bark collar he had, he would bark until the citonella spray reservoir was empty.

At least we know what he wants, he never hesitates to tell you.

The water spray bottle shuts him up sometimes.

He would not be him without the bark. The only time he doesn't bark is when hes ill

#14 ·
Snoopy is very quiet. We actually thought his vocal cords were cut for about a year after we rescued him b/c he didnt ever make a sound...then one day he saw a rabbit and howeled, only one time, and only time we ever heard a howel.

He has growled at the door bell maybe 5 times but that is it...im glad he is quiet, but as we look for another beagle, I think we may never get as lucky to have a quiet one like him

Amanda

#15 ·
We have one very verbal Beagle (Sadie) and one normal Beagle (Pooh Bear). When they were puppies they used to wrestle all the time. We could hear loud growling when they wrestled. We assumed it was both of them growling. We soon found out it was just Sadie growling. Sadie is our back yard hunter and she makes all kinds of sounds when on a scent. She also barks when she wants somthing. Usually I can tell what she wants. Pooh Bear is quieter. He will only bark on a very fresh scent trail and barks at things out the front window. When he wants something he will paw at me or he will paw at something that makes a lot of noise to get our attention. Aren't they funny?

#16 ·
At home Rosa is very quiet and doesn't make a single sound, not even if someone knocks on the door. But take her for a walk she howls at everything and anything.

Sherry is as quiet as can be. I have never heard her howl and she has barked maybe 3 or 4 times in the 4 months I have had her.

#19 ·
No howling from Vinny either.

Beagle #1, Bama was a big howler and very chatty when he was a pup. Adulthood has ended his chattiness but not the howling. And I love it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

#22 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
... But probably more the 'aroo' you guys always mention.

Excuse my Beagle inexperience, but what's an aroo and what's a howl?
Well almost all dogs howl as do coyotes and wolves, its a canine thing. When the Bagel tried to howl, he sat on his haunches, raised his head and emited this pitiful ooooowwwww sound.

Beagles and other scenthounds also bay, a distinct hound vocalization. It is called their voice and it is how they communicate with their fellow hounds when they are on a scent (in a hunt). A hound's bay is a melody of inflections and tones which we have reduced to the term aarroooo. The Bagel has several distinct arrooos I can translate. The ones I understand are:
"Alert the pack (bob), I've got a scent"
"I want to be your friend fellow dog (or Badger)"
"I feel your pain"
"Goodbye potential prey (So long Mr. Jackrabbit!"
"Hey Pack (bob) I need you! What do I do with this? (snake)"
"Hurry up pack (bob) it's gonna get away!"

Bays are so communicative, so truly beagle, that I feel for those whose hounds don't arroooo. I guess because the Bagel never does it indoors, I feel your missing out!

#23 ·
Lucky did not make a sound until he was a year old. Then one day in my parents' backyard, he howled at the neighbors. He has ever since. He will howl if he sees something out the window like people walking or other animals. He also howls when he is in our backyard and sees other animals or the neighbors. I think he just wants them to know he is there. All the neighbors know his name because I am always saying, "Lucky, hush!". Haha. Other than that, he is quiet as can be. He doesn't make a sound when he is playing or any other time.

#24 ·
We hit the beagle lottery with Hunter. He hardly ever howls inside -- almost exclusively when he's dreaming, wakes up confused, and will start howling in real life at his dream. Even at 3 or 4 a.m. its funny. In all seriousness, he'd be a terrible watch- or guard-dog.

The only time he howls is at the dog park. If he's chasing another dog for fun or on the fringes of two big dogs wrestling with each other, he will howl to the point where he rears his head and neck back so far his front feet come off the ground. Everyone laughs, and at the end of play time he'll waddle over to us, I swear, with a smile on his face as if to say, "See how good I did?"

#25 ·
Bob,

I concur with your descriptions of the hound baying and have to say that Rosa has never really howled, she does infact arroooo :hi:

Sherry doesn't howl or aroo or bark either....a very quiet hound, which is rather alien to me :freak: Even Lilly bless her made some noise.

In all honesty I prefer a quiet dog but when taking Sherry for a walk and seeing her stare intently at wildlife, people, traffic, children, aircraft and strange inanimate objects and not make a single sound is rather strange /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

#26 ·
I always thought the arrroo is the howling. Charlie howled a few times that I can remember. I'm sorry, what is the difference between baying and howling? Is the arrrooo part of baying? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Charlie barks loud and usually follows with a arrrroo with every bark.
I remember I heard him howl along with the ambulance that happened to drive by our house. That was hilarious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.