Homemade Dog Food Recipes - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Homemade Dog Food Recipes

In another thread, there was some posted info regarding homemade dog food.
Just in case some of you didn't see the suggestions and recipes, I thought we might share them here. Perhaps some homemade treats and snacks also???

Red, would you mind posting your homemade recipe again? Does anyone else cook their own food?

I make homemade food using a commercial base mix from Sojourner Farms. I add water to the mix and let it set overnight to swell the grain. Then add meat and veggies. I use this mix because it's already commercially tested for balance. It's holistic and preservative free. A forty pound bag lasts six months for my 18 pound beagle and 50 pound shepherd mix.

Maggie has kidney damage from eating grapes when she was four months old, and had seizures for awhile too. I decided to try this mix because it's preservative free (some sources claim preservative free is better for seizure dogs) and it's low in salt (good for dogs with kidney damage).

I checked with my vet first, and he okayed it. I also add a supplement to cover all my bases.

Link for Sojourner Farms: Sojourner Farms Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Homemade Dog Food Recipes

This is a good idea, Deb.

My three are picky eaters. And not on a schedule, which is my fault.

I am cooking chicken and rice for mine.

Boiling up chicken then removing the chicken to cool and cooking up the rice in the chicken water.

I might do the same thing with some kind of ground beef.

And I liked Red's idea of throwing in mixed veggies. Although I can't imagine mine eating them.

I'm wondering if I should use brown rice for them. Does anybody have any thoughts on that?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Once a week, I boil up a whole chicken and brown some deer meat; my dogs also like fish, which I feed from our family pond and keep frozen in the freezer. I also feed raw, but usually on the weekends. During the week, I prefer to use cooked meats (don't have to worry that they've set too long in the frig)

All these meats are divided into meal size amounts, placed in baggies along with the dog food mix and kept in the frig or freezer. On the weekends, I feed straight out of the frig; during my workweek, I pull a baggie from the freezer and thaw in the microwave (all the while, doggies dance at my feet!! :biglaugh: ) Freezing definitely prolongs the fun.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
And I liked Red's idea of throwing in mixed veggies. Although I can't imagine mine eating them.
Haha!! I have a picky one too--last night I made chicken divan--brocolli, chicken, cheese, etc. The smells made Shiloh nuts, and she begged and begged--all through the meal and cleanup. So I gave her a piece of brocolli to see if it had absorbed enough cheese and chicken to fool her. But no, she spit it right out!! The only vegetable she'll eat is potato, which my son keeps telling me isn't really a veggie!
I think brown rice would be better than white rice. If it's better for us, should be better for our dogs too.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do like the idea of making the Beags their own food, but worry about getting the proportions right for them...how do you do it?
I have tons of deer meet that I am wondering what to do with...loins and ground meat...
Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

:computer: Hi Deb,

A friend of mine put me onto a site that if full of info and recipes and I have been using them with Tippi and she loves them. The site is http://www.b-naturals.com. They have diets for every condition imaginable and the recipes are easy to follow. At present, I don't add any of the supplements since Tippi is still going through alot of testing, but so far my vet is in favor of the diets I have shown him and even found some of them for me that he liked. Hope this helps!

Lora&Tippi

"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton
Quesoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by Taurus Mom:
I do like the idea of making the Beags their own food, but worry about getting the proportions right for them...how do you do it?
I have tons of deer meet that I am wondering what to do with...loins and ground meat...
My son is a prolific hunter, and I'm not a fan of venison. I like the roasts and steaks, but nothing else. I had to find a way to get rid of the meat without hurting my son's feelings....so I was sneaking it into the dog food. (Unfortunately he saw me doing it one day....and that was the end of my secret. :biglaugh: )
My dogs LOVE venison, and it's extremely low fat, thus healthy.
Sometimes, I simply use it as treats, raw from the frig (cutting back on their protein at meals).

Do you remember the incident where my two dogs pulled the crock pot off the counter? Guess what was cooking in it.....venison roast. I'm sure they said "hmmmmmmmm....mom left our treat on the counter today". (My crock pot is locked behind a closed door whenever I leave the house now.) :biglaugh:

Feeding raw (or semi-raw) is trial and error, and lots of fun. Lora's post was interesting....lots of information there!!

In answer to your question: How do I get the portions right? Sojourner Farms was my answer to that question. I don't have to keep all the ingredients on hand for a balanced diet, they're already there. Just add meat (and veggies if you prefer, but you don't have to).
Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

are grapes really bad for beagles?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Vets are unsure exactly why grapes and raisins can be toxic for dogs; like any toxin, the amount of illness depends on the amount of food ingested/ body weight.

Maggie was small, young .....and like any beagle, expert at gobbling grapes like a speed demon. I didn't know they could be toxic, so I didn't call the vet. The next morning, she was having cluster seizures and almost died. She has slight kidney damage due to the toxicity of the grape-eating session. I feel lucky to still have her (and terribly guilty at my own ignorance.)

So tell everyone you know: NO GRAPES OR RAISINS
Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

I doubt that grapes are bad for beags, as long as they are seedless ones!(But keep sugar based foods) to the very minimum! And now that canned food has been banned by our vet, I have made it a point to substitute our old family recipie for "wet food"! Goober & Homer & Rufus& Nibbler will be eating our chicken or hot dog version of our wet dog food...and they will enjoy the "the heart of a deer next"! :thumbup:
Advertisement