Herniated disk - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Herniated disk

Miss Sadie has been walking a bit stiff lately. This morning she was extremely stiff all of a sudden and came in from outside shivering. She laid down and shivered in the hall way. Shivering is a sign of pain or fear I believe. Hubbie took her to the vet first thing this morning. The vet examined her and felt along her spine. The vertabra down near the tail is herniated. They also call it slipped disk syndrome. She is to take Rimydly twice a day and be a couch pototoe for at least a week. The vet says that after a few days of Rimydly she will feel better but will have flair ups. The vet said it is an orthopedic problem, not neurological. They did x-rays. We got to see the vertabra with the problem, it is the one that meets the tail. She is not showing any neurological signs of impairement. We trust our vets. She is bright and happy, but very stiff and isn't real happy about having to take it easy, but too bad. We don't want her to injure herself further.
Mom of 2 Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Herniated disk

Poor Ms. Sadie! I am so glad that you were able to get a quick diagnosis and that there is no neurological involvement. Gentle hugs sent your way!
judymaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LuckyBeagle

Aww, poor poor Miss Sadie! Lucky sends biscuit her way and I send hugs & kisses to a speedy recovery! Glad you figured out what it was quickly and it wasn't more serious.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Miss Sadie, you listen to your mom and take it easy so you'll feel better soon.
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

May I suggest something? You may be able to find an osteopathic physician near you. Many DOs treat animals, including the ones I work with in Oklahoma. That disc can very possibly be manipulated back into place thereby giving your baby better and extended relief.
BeagsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Banned

The Bagel has been "confined to quarters" twice for somewhat similar probles (nothing slipped) but joints were tweaked once and he cracked a bone in his front leg once. Both times, the hardest part was convincing him to take it easy! I wound up making him a ramp to get in and out of bed (He sleeps with me) when he cracked his leg bone. The second the meds kick in Miss Sadie will be ready to go.

Miss Sadie, listen to mom, she knows best!
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Wishing Miss sadie a speedy recovery.
angelaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Poor little girl. I hope she will soon feel better. So many Beagles have disk problems, you have to wonder if never breeding dogs who have the condition is enough to reverse the predisposition.
We are sending a few prayers her way, and please, do keep us updated.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Poor Sadie! I know how you're feeling. Amber, along with all her other issues, also herniated a disc once. We lived on the fourth floor at my college apartment complex and dogs were not allowed on the elevator. All the constant stair trips would make it worse, so I used to cheat and take her on the elevator anyway. It was either that or carry a thirty five pound overweight Beagle up and down three flights of stairs. Anyway, we gave her pain killers and anti-inflamatories (I don't think Rimadyl was available for dogs yet back then) and she recovered nicely. We did have to be carefull about what she did and where she jumped after that though.

Sadie, I hope you're feeling better soon! Belly rubs and Beagle kisses to you (and Pooh Bear too, we don't want him to feel left out!).
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I am sorry to hear of Sadie's spine problem. I first read it and thought the usual mid-spine disk issue. Thankfully its not. Crate rest is the non-invasive recommendation.

I hope she feels better soon.
Murphys Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement