Diet - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diet

My gosh! Mizu is 9 1/2 months old and weighs in at 42 lbs. Yes I said it!! 42 LBS!!!
His mom is a 15 inch and his dad is 13 inch. Does that make sense then that he weighs so much. Also I can't carry him down stairs every single morning anymore...he is so heavy for me.
I think it's time for a diet. He does not look too chubby to me though..
jenncarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Diet

Snoopy is 42lbs ( or approx 19-20kgs ). He's 17" though- bit of a leggy fella. He doesn't look fat at all though. He's very lean and athletic looking and I think a lot of the weight is in his muscly hindquarters. He's about the same age as your dog too.

Now I wish I could say the same about myself...I need to diet
Old 11-02-2007, 05:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey guys,
My Snoops is a 15 incher, he came to us at 23 lbs, malnourished, he is 34 lbs now, and really we want him to be 30 lbs...They say his ideal weight is 27lbs..but he looks good at 30 lbs.

I think 42 lbs is a bit heavy, but he doesnt look heavy in the pic... but ive been away from the forum for a while, so not sure if your beagles are mixed or not...that makes a huge differnce......obviously they will get heavier as they age.

Ive noticed Snoopy getting slower, less zoomies and playful as he gained weight, so he is also on a diet now...want to get him back to his playfull self.

Amanda
Old 11-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by JennyC:
My gosh! Mizu is 9 1/2 months old and weighs in at 42 lbs. Yes I said it!! 42 LBS!!!
His mom is a 15 inch and his dad is 13 inch. Does that make sense then that he weighs so much. Also I can't carry him down stairs every single morning anymore...he is so heavy for me.
I think it's time for a diet. He does not look too chubby to me though..
Hi Jenny

If you post a picture of your boy (a side on pic preferably, and maybe one looking down on his waist) I can try tell you if he is over weight or not.

If he is a tall, leggy boy he could possibly be an ok weight or if he is a bit chubby he might not need to lose much.

Try not to judge it on how easily you can carry him/pick him up, at 9 months he is still growing.
The best indication is how easily you can feel his ribs. Do you have to press in hard at his side to feel his ribs or can you feel them easily?

My beagle daisy is 15 inches and is currently approx 38 pounds. She is a bit chubby, to be an ideal weight she needs to be around 35 pounds or so.

Also, if he is over weight, the best diet plan is to feed him in the morning and only in the morning so he has the whole day to work off any excess weight. I did this with my husky when he was over weight (they can put on weight quite quickly and easily). If he is starving at night give him one chicken wing or a couple of necks to settle his belly.

What do you feed him on?

Become a fan on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/evilbeagle?ref=ts
Smeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Spencer is a 17 inch beagle (when we bought him they told us he would be 13 inches) and he is currently 25lbs. He is on the thin side due to the amount of energy he is spending with his anxiety but we are hoping to be able to at least get him back up to 27lbs or so, that would be his ideal. He was up to 30.5 but he was looking a little too pudgy for my likings.

Sydney is a 13 inch beagle and she is 21.5 lbs. I would like for her to go down to about 19 or 20 to be ideal. We are having a hard time getting her down.

I can't imagine what a 42lb beagle would look like. LOL
Spencer's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Miss Shiloh has hovered around 40-43 lbs. for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised to find that she is pushing 45 , since I haven't been able to walk her as much as she needs to. And when we do walk I can't get a good trotting speed going with her because she has to stop and smell all the fallen leaves!! :eyes: She probably needs to lose at least 8 lbs., but she'll never be a thin beag. Being part bassett, she has the shorter legs and the longer body, and I think she's just more solidly built than a lot of more petite beagles. 42 lbs. does sound heavy for Mizu, though, especially as he's still a puppy and probably will have some more growing to do. But he doesn't look fat in your avatar. I think the test is that if you can feel his rib section, then he's okay. Does your vet think he needs to lose weight?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

You could check with your vet to see what weight is recommended for him. Ours are 15 inch Beagles we think. Sadie weighs 35 pounds and Pooh Bear weighs 38. Pooh is a bit chunky and needs to loose 2 - 3 pounds. Pooh Bear used to weigh 42 pounds and he was heavy and the vet told us to put him on a diet and we did.

Maybe your baby is a 17 incher?

Or post a picture of him on here and we can take a look at him for you.
Mom of 2 Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Jersey is a tall girl, 17 inches and weighs in at just 40 lbs. She's not fat, she's very muscular with long legs. I do think that she should probably lose a 2-3 lbs. though. The vet said she's OK now, but that she shouldn't get any heavier.
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Jenny, I was just viewing those gorgeous pictures of Mizu in the large photo forum. He looks solid, but not really fat. He's definitely a tall boy!
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
Jenny, I was just viewing those gorgeous pictures of Mizu in the large photo forum. He looks solid, but not really fat. He's definitely a tall boy!
I know he is tall...he just kept growing and I was like Hmmmm... you are pretty tall for a 13 inch beagle. The previous owner said he was and so were his parents. I finally just emailed the breeder and she told me that the mom was 15 and the dad was 13. I still love Mizu no matter what size is =)
jenncarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement