Oldest Beagle on Record - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oldest Beagle on Record

Recently our vet told us about a famous beagle at U.C. Davis that lived well into his upper 20s. Of course, I'm thinking one of two things as follows:

1) This veterinarian is off-his-rocker ... or
2) He's just trying to see how gullible I am.

I responded "Are you sure you didn't confuse a wind-up beagle with a live dog?" He just grinned and said, "No really."

I looked for that knowing wink that would have told me ... he was just teasing ... but it didn't' happen. Of course, I'm still more than a little doubtful ... way more.

And there I was thinking Willie had done well to live to 17 years and 9 months!

Are there others out there who wish to share their stories ... "The Oldest Beagle I ever heard about is/was __________"
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Oldest Beagle on Record

Your Willie did have an impressivly long life, and is the longest lived Beagle I've heard of, but maybe your vet wasn't pulling your leg. Our little poodle Misty (she was a toy mini--one parent of each size) died 2 years ago at the age of 20. She was our little energizer bunny dog and was actually pretty healthy for her age. Physically,anyway.She probably would have lived longer, but sadly, she died when she took a wrong turn one day looking for her food dish, and fell down the basement stairs.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
kgh

I was at my Vet's office awhile back to pick up a Rx. As I paying for it, out of the corner of my eye, I see a little angel of a Beagle leaving the treatment room. Melt does not even begin to describe my decent to visit with her. She completely stole my heart. She was 20!!! Those of you with Seniors know what I am talking about. She was frosted all over but still had the original, but muted colors. I really wish I had my camera phone with me that day.

We've been snowballed!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by Genie:
She probably would have lived longer, but sadly, she died when she took a wrong turn one day looking for her food dish, and fell down the basement stairs.
That's awful

About beagles, the oldest I've heard of until this post was 16.5 years old.
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by Genie:
She probably would have lived longer, but sadly, she died when she took a wrong turn one day looking for her food dish, and fell down the basement stairs.
That's awful

Yes. Ironically, I had just that day decided that I would call our vet and make plans to help Misty to the Bridge. Physically she was still in pretty good shape. But she was blind, deaf, incontinent, and so senile that she didn't know any of us. She was still interested in eating, but really had no quality of life, and the Misty we knew had disappeared. Still though, I wouldn't have had her die that way for anything; I just hope and pray she didn't suffer.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Banned

My Curly Dog was a Norwegian Elkhound who was born in 1949 and came to live with me (Iíve always had rescues) in 1954 when I in the 2nd grade . Curly went to the Bridge in 1970. I recall reading somewhere that the record for the oldest dog was a beagle who lived to be maybe human 27 years. I think a Google search is in order (Iím at work or Iíd do it now) to verify but perhaps, your vet is correct!
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just googled it and found out that the 2004 Guinness Book of Records states that in Virginia there was a 27 year old Beagle named Butch.
My brother-in-law has all the Guinness books, I should ask him to check it out.

To err is human, to forgive canine. -Anonymous

brandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow - 27 years?!?! The oldest I had heard about before that nugget of information was the beagle "Perth" in the book by that name - I think she lived to be just around 20.
BookerMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know about the oldest, but several years ago there was a story in the Atlanta Journal/Constitution about a 20-year old beagle who'd been adopted by a couple in Chattanooga. I have no idea how long he lived after the adoption.
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
kgh

Good luck!!! I have a little foster girl right now and I am astounded by what she can get into and the manner in which she does it. I have to watch her like a hawk. She jumped and pulled a small bag with and "to be given later" treat that I had put up by the kitchen sink. I have no idea how she did it. Time to set up the video camera, send it to one of those video shows and fund your retirement fund.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement