How do you clean a beagle's ears? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you clean a beagle's ears?

Being a new beagle owner, I have no idea on how to clean thier ears. I have heard that beagles are prone to ear problems, and they need to be cleaned on a regular basis. I have heard someone mention Q-Tips??? And do you need any special cleaners or solution? My 3 month old Mocha looks like her ears need to be cleaned; they have some brown goop in them, so I wanted to know how to clean them properly.
Thanks!
cuvy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How do you clean a beagle's ears?

We have always just used a cotton ball - the vet told us that it is easy to go in too far with a Q-tip and damage the ear. Sometimes the ears can get infected and then we use a cleaner (smells like alcohol) we get from the vet and, if they get bad enough, ointment. But for just ordinary cleaning a cotton ball seems to work fine - assuming your beagle doesn't see you coming and run in the opposite direction!
BookerMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Jenn: Beagles' ears are prone to yeast infections due to their formation. I have "ear cleaning solution" that I get from my vet -- pretty inexpensive and price was comperable to pet stores. I just pour some into her ear -- this seemed very odd at first. Then close the ear flap and massage at the base of her ear. Then stand back really quickly and let her shake her head. I then wipe and dry what I can easily reach with cotton balls. The first time I did this Maggie balked but I think she likes the process now. If Mocha has "gook" in her ears and it doesn't come out the first time you try this, you might want to do it once a day for a few days and then get into a routine -- my vet recommends once a week. I can usually tell when Maggie's ears are bothering her as she starts rubbing her ears or shaking her head.
judymaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was always told to NEVER put a solution into a dogs ears because you will just cause an infection. I use baby wipes for sensitive skin (they are cheaper than dog ear wipes). I fold one in 4 and put it over my finger and wipe as much as I can reach. Spencer has allergies so I need to keep a close eye on his ears so they get cleaned every couple days. Oh, and never use the same wipe in both ears, always use seperate ones so that if they do have an infection, you won't spread it.
Spencer's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

only one of my beags has stinky ears, and gets brown stuff in them, and to be honest, I just use a kleenex... to get out what I can. I had bought some of these q-tip things that have some kind of medicine in them for cleaning ears, you break the tip off of one end.. I used those a few times, but it takes so many to get his ears cleaned, I went thru half a pack in one cleaning!!
Good luck, but ask your vet--see what they think
Judi and the gang
Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

you will need to get the solution from the vet and it is quick drying to inhibit more bacterial growth. Just like judymaggie said. It will be a bit uncomfortable for them at first, but they will like it because it feels pretty good when they get the ear massage.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

If that's a continuing problem you need to get him checked for ear mites as well as yeast, though yeast tends to really stink ukey:

Quote:
Quote:Originally posted by jdetmering:
only one of my beags has stinky ears, and gets brown stuff in them, and to be honest, I just use a kleenex... to get out what I can. I had bought some of these q-tip things that have some kind of medicine in them for cleaning ears, you break the tip off of one end.. I used those a few times, but it takes so many to get his ears cleaned, I went thru half a pack in one cleaning!!
Good luck, but ask your vet--see what they think
Judi and the gang
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

As far as how I clean Abby's ears after baths I use a combination of warm water, alcohol (or witch hazel) and apple cider vinegar in a condiment bottle, shake it up squirt some in and massage.
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had to clean any of my dogs ears in their life other than just a little rub with a tissue to dry them after a bath or when they've been swimming.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

We have been lucky with Susi and Snoopy, no mucky ears. They do tend to lick each others ears though. If there is brown goo in the ears, take the pup to the vet to check for mites and have them cleaned and treated by the vet. He/she will then advise on what to do and use and show you how to do it.
angelaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement