Artificial turf - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Artificial turf

Hi,

We are looking into artificial turf for our boys. We have a small grass area in the backyard but we have been unable to keep the grass alive. In addition, Benji and Muddy like to rub themselves in the dirt and when it rains here, they track dirt inside the house.

We have looked into several different brands but our main concern is the smell given the humidity and heat in the summer in Houston. The manufacturer we think we are going to use, Synlawn, says they put something called envirofill that minimizes the smell.

Does anyone here have experience with artificial grass? I know the maintenance is minimal (at least I hope so) but does it really start to stink?

Thanks!
Csv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry. No experience. In general, I'm not a fan of artificial things. I'll check around and see if I can find any of my doggie friends who have experience with it.
Natty Boh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

good luck lol my beagle boy digs trenches not holes and that was last summer when he was a puppy i can't wait to see what he can do now they will probably dig threw fake grass to get to the dirt
sideshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most of my doggie friends I asked say they prefer pea gravel. My 'grass' is just hardy weeds and crab grass, but it's green. lol!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

There are some brands that are made specifically for dogs, sorry I can't remember the name.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

There is one called K9Grass. I hear it is very expensive.

http://k9grass.com/
Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

We looked into k9 grass and it indeed is very expensive. Supposedly better drainage because of different backing.

Natty Boh: I wish we had weeds or even some green in our yard. Right now it's just mud and dirt.

The research continues...Thanks for the responses!
Csv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csv321 View Post
We looked into k9 grass and it indeed is very expensive. Supposedly better drainage because of different backing.

Natty Boh: I wish we had weeds or even some green in our yard. Right now it's just mud and dirt.

The research continues...Thanks for the responses!
I live in California which has suffered from 5 years of drought and very restrictive watering rules by our state. I bought a couple jars of dicondra seed and spread it around.. I had no real hope but then...after a few weeks during the summer and with a little watering it grew better than regular grass and stays green. Best thing is that it spreads and seems to reseed itself.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I live in California which has suffered from 5 years of drought and very restrictive watering rules by our state. I bought a couple jars of dicondra seed and spread it around.. I had no real hope but then...after a few weeks during the summer and with a little watering it grew better than regular grass and stays green. Best thing is that it spreads and seems to reseed itself.
NOOOO!!!! I hate ground covers. My mother was always a fan and had my father plant various things in the front yard. You know - 'cause then you don't have to cut the grass. The latest thing was Chameleon Plant. My father died in 2001 and I'm still pulling that crap up. It chokes out everything. I hate it. I cuss every time I work in my Mom's yard. I also hate ivy. And that dicondra looks way too much like creeping charlie, which I also hate. Just Google dicondra and 'how to get rid of dicondra' will come up. Half my gardening life is spent pulling up chameleon plant, ivy and creeping Charlie.

I am an avid gardener. I research everything that goes into my garden, before I purchase it. (Some hard lessons learned.) Read up on anything you decide to plant. There are garden forums, like Dave's Garden, where people give the plant a positive, negative, or neutral rating - along with opinions. Then, if you still like it, plant it.

Sorry Joann. Did I mention that I really, really, really hate ground covers? lol!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
NOOOO!!!! I hate ground covers. My mother was always a fan and had my father plant various things in the front yard. You know - 'cause then you don't have to cut the grass. The latest thing was Chameleon Plant. My father died in 2001 and I'm still pulling that crap up. It chokes out everything. I hate it. I cuss every time I work in my Mom's yard. I also hate ivy. And that dicondra looks way too much like creeping charlie, which I also hate. Just Google dicondra and 'how to get rid of dicondra' will come up. Half my gardening life is spent pulling up chameleon plant, ivy and creeping Charlie.

I am an avid gardener. I research everything that goes into my garden, before I purchase it. (Some hard lessons learned.) Read up on anything you decide to plant. There are garden forums, like Dave's Garden, where people give the plant a positive, negative, or neutral rating - along with opinions. Then, if you still like it, plant it.

Sorry Joann. Did I mention that I really, really, really hate ground covers? lol!
Wow, a little therapy might help your emotional problem!! Oohmmmm...
Anyway, the dicondra stays green, low maintenance and covers the bald spots...oh and looks great too. Certainly better than weeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement