Seizures... Keppra, PhenoB? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2017, 03:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seizures... Keppra, PhenoB?

We suspected our younger girl Luna had a seizure about 6 months ago but no one witnessed the event (only the aftermath) so the vet couldn't be totally sure. She had another about a week ago. That one was brief, I only heard it but didn't see it. Once again I just saw her afterwards and she was shaking, stumbling, couldn't stand, vomiting and pouring drool. We went back to the vet and got fluids and a pepcid shot. A few days ago my mother in law who was staying with us heard her yelping and twitching and said she thought it might've been another, but no one knew. Well today she ran out on to the porch and had a full on grand mal seizure. We videotaped it to show the vet as she had recommended. It was probably less than 2 minutes all together but it felt like eternity and I almost lost my mind. It's such a horrible feeling to watch and not be able to do anything. After it passed we immediately took her back in and showed the video to the vet.

She was concerned that they seem to be happening closer and closer together and recommended we put her on something. The choices were phenobarbital and keppra. She said that the keppra is more expensive but has less side effects and after explaining both meds left it up to us. We chose the keppra and got a script filled at walgreens. Has anyone else had their dog on seizure meds? What should we expect as far as side effects and how soon did they wear off for your dog? Has it been successful in treating your dogs epilepsy? Luna is only 15 lbs so she's on 250mg pills but taking 1/2 pill 3 times/day. I am just a nervous wreck and hate this whole thing!!

Also how does your dog act after the seizure? Luna seems very tired and out of it for 24 to 36 hours. She only wants to lay down unless it's time to eat (typical beagle!). Is this normal?
juliamxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know the answers to any of your questions but I do know that humans take a day or so to recover from a seizure. Hope you are able to control Luna's epilepsy and that the Keppra works for her. Don't blame you for being a nervous wreck.
Bbircie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am so sorry for Luna's diagnosis. I know people who have had dogs with seizures, but have no first hand experience. Praying that Luna's seizures are controlled with the meds. with no side effects.

Hugs to you and Luna!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the kind replies!

She's such a sweet girl and I hate seeing her like that. Hoping someone who has some experience might know some answers.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

One thing I read about beagles, specifically?, was that they are a breed who is prone to seizures. Does anyone know if this is true? Wishing you and Luna all the best!!
JRN00498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRN00498 View Post
One thing I read about beagles, specifically?, was that they are a breed who is prone to seizures. Does anyone know if this is true? Wishing you and Luna all the best!!
I have read that as well and asked my vet, she said it is true. That doesn't mean they all will have seizures obviously, but they are one of the breeds that epilepsy is common in.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Darn. I hate hearing that beagles are prone to seizures. Ever since I read that article, I get nervous when Piper is sleeping, and running in her sleep. I worry that her sleep running is a seizure, even though she doesn't exhibit any other seizure-like symptoms.
JRN00498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's interesting since my vet said beagles tend to be a healthy breed. Cassie is 5+ and I haven't seen any evidence of that at this point...fingers crossed
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

There are quite a few common health issues, in beagles. Seems every breed has a health list.

Beagle Health Problems
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just a thought here...any chance the seizure occurs after flea and tic prevention treatment? Research the brands you're using. I "under dose" my dog for the size she is compared to the product's suggested range amount. Anyway, something to keep in mind.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement