Seizures... Keppra, PhenoB? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2017, 03:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRN00498 View Post
Darn. I hate hearing that beagles are prone to seizures. Ever since I read that article, I get nervous when Piper is sleeping, and running in her sleep. I worry that her sleep running is a seizure, even though she doesn't exhibit any other seizure-like symptoms.
My dogs both do that. You will know if it's a seizure, well, if it's a grand mal seizure.
juliamxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Just a thought here...any chance the seizure occurs after flea and tic prevention treatment? Research the brands you're using. I "under dose" my dog for the size she is compared to the product's suggested range amount. Anyway, something to keep in mind.
No, I can't see any connection between the 2.

Sounds like your girl dodged the epilepsy bullet. From my understanding epilepsy usually starts in the first year or two. Ours had her first one 6 months ago when she was just barely 1.

I've heard too that beagles are "healthy". I think for the most part there aren't a lot of deadly diseases that run in the breed, but like someone else said every breed has it's problems.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

My dog, Anakin, began having seizures at 6 months... he would have them every 4 to 6 weeks and would last under 3 minutes. It wasn't until he was 3 that he was having them every 2 weeks and our vet said it was time to get him on meds. He put him on Phenob and it has been 2 months without one (a record). He didn't show any signs of side effects and his 30 day liver blood work was so low normal that the vet said we could increase the dosage if we needed to (praise the Lord). I wish I had put him on meds sooner because it is hard to watch them have seizures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tina Faye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliamxc View Post
Quote:
Just a thought here...any chance the seizure occurs after flea and tic prevention treatment? Research the brands you're using. I "under dose" my dog for the size she is compared to the product's suggested range amount. Anyway, something to keep in mind.
No, I can't see any connection between the 2.

Sounds like your girl dodged the epilepsy bullet. From my understanding epilepsy usually starts in the first year or two. Ours had her first one 6 months ago when she was just barely 1.

I've heard too that beagles are "healthy". I think for the most part there aren't a lot of deadly diseases that run in the breed, but like someone else said every breed has it's problems.
There are some brand contents that have been noted to cause seizures although it won't be listed as a side effect on the packaging. I won't mention specific brands but researching them is good.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sophie has seizures - due, we think, to a depressed skull fracture from her first 'owners'. She has a grand mal, then goes into extension, drools, etc. She does not have them often, usually when the weather changes dramatically, or there are other stressors. We have discovered that if we work really hard to avoid stressing her (keeping her out of the cat food and trash, away from the creepy neighbor for example) we can reduce her frequency. She now seems to have bouts every 6 months or so. At first they occurred in clusters, but we can now keep them down to one or two. She is not currently on medication, but in the future will be if it becomes necessary. We have discovered that keeping her hydrated, reducing exposure to screens (tv and computer), and calm positive company during storms helps.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
There are some brand contents that have been noted to cause seizures although it won't be listed as a side effect on the packaging. I won't mention specific brands but researching them is good.
Interesting! It doesn't seem to have any connection with what we have going on but good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljas View Post
Sophie has seizures - due, we think, to a depressed skull fracture from her first 'owners'. She has a grand mal, then goes into extension, drools, etc. She does not have them often, usually when the weather changes dramatically, or there are other stressors. We have discovered that if we work really hard to avoid stressing her (keeping her out of the cat food and trash, away from the creepy neighbor for example) we can reduce her frequency. She now seems to have bouts every 6 months or so. At first they occurred in clusters, but we can now keep them down to one or two. She is not currently on medication, but in the future will be if it becomes necessary. We have discovered that keeping her hydrated, reducing exposure to screens (tv and computer), and calm positive company during storms helps.
Our other girl is named Sophie

If it keeps up I can tell you that we've had good luck so far with the Keppra. It hasn't been terribly long so we will see in the long run. We went with the Keppra bc the vet told us that even though it's more expensive it can be more effective and has much lower rates of side effects. They don't sell it there so I knew she wasn't just out for $$. So far I've noticed no side effects. Best of luck to you and Sophie!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina Faye View Post
My dog, Anakin, began having seizures at 6 months... he would have them every 4 to 6 weeks and would last under 3 minutes. It wasn't until he was 3 that he was having them every 2 weeks and our vet said it was time to get him on meds. He put him on Phenob and it has been 2 months without one (a record). He didn't show any signs of side effects and his 30 day liver blood work was so low normal that the vet said we could increase the dosage if we needed to (praise the Lord). I wish I had put him on meds sooner because it is hard to watch them have seizures.
It is horrifying. Our vet asked us to tape one if we got a chance and we did, which was helpful for her. During the tape I keep asking how long it's been b/c it felt like forever, then someone would say "45 seconds" and I couldn't believe it! Watching it is pure hell.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Julia, I'm so glad the Keppra seems to be working. It is so scary - the things we go through with our fur kids.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement