1 year old and still urinating in the house - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1 year old and still urinating in the house

We've had him since he was 6 weeks old. We crate trained him and he did great. He's never had an accident in his crate. We block off areas in the house STILL...I've done everything right and still struggling. He knows to go to the door and goes when he's outside but then I will find spots in various areas... Are they known to be stubborn at potty training? We've always had labs in the past and they were ringing a bell to go outside at 8 weeks old. A Beagle is a whole different breed LOL...he didn't care for the bell at all.

Jennifer
JENN5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

My personal experience is that ...yes...potty training was slow. Cassie is 5 yrs old and most often she goes out on her own...BUT if I haven't seen her do that for awhile I send her out for "peepee" ... I think it's laziness sometimes when I find a puddle in the house because I keep the door open to the yard and it's not like she can't get out.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENN5508 View Post
We've had him since he was 6 weeks old. We crate trained him and he did great. He's never had an accident in his crate. We block off areas in the house STILL...I've done everything right and still struggling. He knows to go to the door and goes when he's outside but then I will find spots in various areas... Are they known to be stubborn at potty training? We've always had labs in the past and they were ringing a bell to go outside at 8 weeks old. A Beagle is a whole different breed LOL...he didn't care for the bell at all.

Jennifer
If you are finding spots in various areas, it sounds like he may still have too much room to roam. I limited mine to the gated kitchen, or crate, until completely housebroken. They aren't considered housebroken until they have ZERO accidents. I would go back to treating him like a puppy - on leash, out to potty every few hours. Has he been neutered? Is he marking?

When he has an accident, are you cleaning the area with a good enzymatic cleaner? That is the only way to ensure you get rid of the odor.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

yes, the spots are in various areas.... We haven't got him neutered because they use him for rabbit hunting and my husband is afraid it will take some of the drive out of him. I started using Nature's Miracle No marking spray recently. Is there something else that I should use along with it?? I use a carpet cleaner first and dry it and then spray the no marking spray.

Jennifer
JENN5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Your husband should do a bit of reading on the matter. Neutering a hunting dog does not have an effect on the dog's drive. It can in fact be beneficial as the dog is more focused now and not worrying about marking his territory and smelling for bitches on heat. It would definitely help your house training.
DragonLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLass View Post
Your husband should do a bit of reading on the matter. Neutering a hunting dog does not have an effect on the dog's drive. It can in fact be beneficial as the dog is more focused now and not worrying about marking his territory and smelling for bitches on heat. It would definitely help your house training.
I honestly think some men have a hard time with the neutering issue. I don't have a problem with the spaying issue. lol!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENN5508 View Post
yes, the spots are in various areas.... We haven't got him neutered because they use him for rabbit hunting and my husband is afraid it will take some of the drive out of him. I started using Nature's Miracle No marking spray recently. Is there something else that I should use along with it?? I use a carpet cleaner first and dry it and then spray the no marking spray.

Jennifer
You said in your first post that you 'block off areas'. Scale that back. Block off ONE area. He has too much freedom. The blocked off area is only for when you can watch him. Otherwise, he is in the crate. This prevents him from being able to make a mistake. You can't correct him for going potty in the house, if you don't see it happen. So - one space where you watch him, or in the crate and take him out frequently.

I had to look up Nature's Miracle No marking spray. There are so many different varieties. I was recommending one of the varieties that cleans and eliminates odor - which they all do. If he is indeed marking, you might want to tether him to you. You must prevent him from having the opportunity to mark.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
I honestly think some men have a hard time with the neutering issue. I don't have a problem with the spaying issue. lol!

LOL I agree!
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement