Cant figure out what's wrong with my beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Cant figure out what's wrong with my beagle

I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow hopefully, but here's the deal.

I came home from work today and Tex hopped down from the couch (2 feet) and yelped. He was not his normal self after that. He was very lethargic, would not go down stairs, but would jump back up on the couch to sleep. As the evening has gone on, he has gotten more energetic but he keeps yelping doing certain movements (we are trying to stop him) but sometimes when he tries to stand on his hind legs he yelps and he definitely does it when hopping down form the couch. We've rubbed and massaged all over trying to reproduce the yelp to figure out where the pain is coming from and we can't do it. It's so odd and frustrating because he needs to be still/calm but keeps wanting to run around. Any ideas?
wsmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

It is good you are taking him to the vet. He needs to be checked out. Hopefully, he just pulled something. Is he crate trained? If so, I would put him in the crate to keep him from doing any additional damage. If he is not crate trained, I would keep him on a leash. Dogs are not good about limiting themselves. lol!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

My last beagle had IVDD so of course I'm immediately panicked that it could be that. But he's not wobbly or dragging any limbs. Just yelping during certain movements.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

That oddly happened to my dog about a month ago. I was about to run her to the emergency vet. It seemed like she pulled something and eventually we put her in her crate and yes I admit it, we took turns sitting by her door to keep her company. She went out potty for the night and the next morning woke up like nothing happened. Has been just fine since. I know mine has a low tolerance to pain, hopefully yours will be o.k in the morning. I know it was scary when it happened. I hope yours will be fine also.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I hope Tex turns out the same. He was still asleep when I left this morning. I do think (hope) it's a good sign that he improved a lot (from very lethargic to his normal self in about 5 hours) and he definitely also has a low pain tolerance (yelps like he's dying when getting his nails clipped at the vet) so we shall see today.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like he has a pull or sprain from the jump. Hopefully that's all it is and he will be all better soon.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is he still going to the vet today? Please keep us posted. Praying it is nothing serious.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

How is little Tex doing today? Hope he is feeling better.
Moose82915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Update:

Took him to the vet today, he seemed to get much worse while I was there, he could have jumped off the couch again while we were gone at work.

The vet did xrays, said that looked ok but the only way to diagnose IVDD is via MRI and they didn't want to do that yet. We are on the "limited activity" and pain pill plan. It's a bit overwhelming, literally his favorite things in the world are jumping on people and jumping in general/standing on his hind legs and somehow we have to get him to stop while both me and my wife work 8 hour days. Poor guy was in a lot of pain at the vet.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

So we bought him a crate tonight. I hate it because we've never crated him and thats probably how he grew up being a former laboratory beagle. But with all the pain he is in he is STILL trying to jump on things and get on his hind legs (and lets out a horrible yelp each time) so crating him is the only way to stop this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement