Too cold for outside? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too cold for outside?

We have a 1 year old beagle who stays in inside 90% of the time. We have 3 kennels outside that are 6x10 each with dog boxes in them. We leave our labs out there. Once in a while I will put him out there during the day so he can play and enjoys being outdoors. We live in Central IL and the weather lately has been above average mid 60s. We just found out we have to be out of town this weekend. We will leave Sat morning and return Sunday. I checked the weather forecast and, just my luck, 35 Saturday with a low of 20! Is that too cold to leave him out there? I don't know what I'm going to do I don't trust anyone to keep him.

Jennifer
JENN5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

YES, too cold for you? Too cold for a dog. Find a place to board your dog. I do it when necessary.

Last edited by Cassie; 03-07-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cassie is right. Definitely too cold for a beagle. Please find some place to board him. If there are no boarding facilities near you, perhaps your vets' office?

My shepherd has long hair and a thick coat. The cold does not bother her. Natty Boh hates the cold. Can't wait to get back inside.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes I agree it is too cold especially because he isn't used to it, the night would get sooo cold for him.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe you could try https://dogvacay.com/ in your area. You may be able to find someone near your home.
Cooper T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, too cold. I read somewhere that a beagle should not be in 20 degree F weather for more than 20 minutes. Lately, when I am outside with our Penny in the 20-35 degree weather we have been having in Maryland, I put her coat on and try to get her to run around as much as I can, but I would never leave her outside by herself for more than 20-30 minutes.

I recommend looking into rover.com. We have found a family very close to us with two beagles and a fenced yard who we can board Penny with and whom will also watch her during the day.
mmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

But Beagles are bred to rabbit hunt and rabbit hunting is in the winter... I'm confused
JENN5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENN5508 View Post
But Beagles are bred to rabbit hunt and rabbit hunting is in the winter... I'm confused
If I read your post correctly, are you asking since your Beagle is being used for rabbit hunting rather than merely being a pet? I think 99% of us here have beagles as pets so we may not have the answer you're seeking. Perhaps a hunting club is better suited to answer your questions.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Jennifer, it matters that your dog lives inside 90% of the time. He is not acclimated to the cold weather. He is going to feel it much more than a dog who is always an outside dog. As Cassie stated, most of us have pet, not hunting, dogs. I would never leave any of my dogs outside, under any circumstances. The same is true, in the heat of summer. A dog who is inside in the AC all summer is going to mind the heat more than a dog who spends a lot of time outside. It makes a difference where you live, as well. I have family in Georgia. My uncle kept his dogs outside all the time. Much different, than if he lived in Alaska.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement