Why do they growl and bark at you? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why do they growl and bark at you?

The most of the times Cooper (11 months) is fine except for 3 or 4 times a day when he growls and bark at us. I could be wrong, but I don't think he is being aggressive, but this is driving my wife and son crazy.

The typical situation begins when we are sitting on the sofa and he comes over to start to mouthing my son or wife. They firmly say "NO" and try to leave the scene, but he starts to follow them. When we don't allow him to bite our cloths or our hands, he begins to growl and bark. We try to stay calm and say NO, but he will continue until we tie him down for a minute or so. I have to say this happens 3 or 4 times a day.

We can only play with him about 30 minutes in the morning and take him for a walk in the afternoon. (about an hour or so) Actually, it's not walking, but mostly pulling and we are working on this too. They are handful each day.

Anyone has good solution for this behavior or will the time take care of this? Does he want to play and we are not getting it.

Thanks.
Cooper T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He could be challenging you with the growling and barking. You really need to watch his posture, you can tell an aggressive posture over a playful one.

Canine Body Language Chart

As for the walking, beagles are very strong and lead by their noses. When we walk our pullers, we keep the leash very short, have them stay on one side and carry yummy treats to reward good behavior. There are all sorts of collars and harnesses that help with pulling.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dog needs.more exercise than it sounds like it is getting. The growling is likely the dog testing its place in the pecking order.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

All good advice given. Does your dog have any tough chews to focus on instead of you? When my dog acts needy I bring one out. I suggest getting a variety to rotate.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm glad you posted this. I agree with everyone here. I think it's true your dog is not aggressive in the sense that we think. I think they just want to be in charge and test their limits. When mine would do these growling/barking episodes I first thought she was aggressive. I do think Beagles tend to be a little snarly to begin with and need a strong owner. I don't know why yours is doing the mouthing. I have never experienced that. I think maybe giving a really good chew toy when he wants to do that might help. Distract him, don't let him do that. Just like you are doing now. Mine always did that challenging stuff to me when she had some food she wasn't supposed to have and I would get it away from her. She would snap and growl at me. I was never ever afraid of the growl or bite, and she never really bites me. Today she was eating something in the yard that was hidden under leaves. I have to watch her in the yard as she has allergies and when she eats sticks or whatever the squirrels drop over from a neighbors yard she will find and eat. So today she had something and wouldn't come to me or listen. I went over to her and called her and she ignored me and kept eating. I went over to her and told her to get over here and poked her a little with the rake. She growled at me and came over to my feet still crabby. I told her get to the house. She kept going to the house but also going to a different part of the yard, like taking the long way. I called her over to me again and picked her up. It sounded like I had a rabid dog she growled and snapped at me. I said bad dog, no! Got her long line and tied her out while we worked in the yard. She couldn't run and smell like she loves to do. She knew she was bad. My advice is to never ever ever back down, don't get in a brawl with them either, just be firm say no and be done with it. I just think for whatever reason some are like that.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for good advice. We have bully sticks and bone ready all the time. He loves them, but when he gets into that zone it doesn't help. We like to spend more time exercising him, but not possible with our current schedule. We'll try to think of something else. Cooper had private training and obedience class as well. We'll give him more training in the near future. We'll stay calm and stern with our command during his behavior and if that doesn't work, then we'll just have to tie him down for few minutes. He calms down afterwards.

Last edited by Cooper T; 03-07-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Cooper T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper T View Post
Thanks everyone for good advice. We have bully sticks and bone ready all the time. He loves them, but when he gets into that zone it doesn't help. We like to spend more time exercising him, but not possible with our current schedule. We'll try to think of something else. Cooper had private training and obedience class as well. We'll give him more training in the near future. We'll stay calm and stern with our command during his behavior and if that doesn't work, then we'll just have to tie him down for few minutes. He calms down afterwards.
If you can afford it, doggie day camp once and awhile helps to tire them out. ..and gives you relief.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yup, doggie daycare. Now that I am not working from home any more piper goes any day that she would be alone more than four hours. She comes back happy and tired, well worth the $20
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Yup, doggie daycare. Now that I am not working from home any more piper goes any day that she would be alone more than four hours. She comes back happy and tired, well worth the $20
$20?? Around where I live it's $35 (12 hrs), oh well, it's still worth it. I never keep her the full time allowed but it's great if necessary.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

When Rascal is very contented like laying on our laps she makes a sound that sounds like a soft growl. I think it is her beagle version of a purr!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement