Why do they growl and bark at you? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
$20?? Around where I live it's $35 (12 hrs), oh well, it's still worth it. I never keep her the full time allowed but it's great if necessary.
Considering what a shack costs in ca, $35 for daycare seems cheap
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
$20?? Around where I live it's $35 (12 hrs), oh well, it's still worth it. I never keep her the full time allowed but it's great if necessary.
Considering what a shack costs in ca, $35 for daycare seems cheap
Ahh, but $35 is expensive if you're trying to pay the morgage on the shack...
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

I agree with the others. It sounds like playing to me. Beagles are very vocal. Oldjeep is right. You really need to up your pups' exercise. Walks do nothing to tire a dog. Make a flirt pole. Ten - fifteen minutes of playing with the flirt pole will have your dogs' tongue hanging out. I made my flirt pole, very inexpensively - horse buggy whip from Tractor Supply, leather shoe lace and old toy. Done!

Also, do several short training sessions every day. It is important to tire your pup mentally, as well as physically. Plus, a well trained, obedient puppy is much easier to live with.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
Oldjeep is right. You really need to up your pups' exercise. Walks do nothing to tire a dog. Make a flirt pole. Ten - fifteen minutes of playing with the flirt pole will have your dogs' tongue hanging out. I made my flirt pole, very inexpensively - horse buggy whip from Tractor Supply, leather shoe lace and old toy. Done!

Also, do several short training sessions every day. It is important to tire your pup mentally, as well as physically. Plus, a well trained, obedient puppy is much easier to live with.
THIS ^^^^^^!!!!!! I read something to this effect (on this forum of course!) when my wife first informed me that we were getting Toby. Last night I got home and they were putting him in his crate for the night at 8-8:30pm! I took him out, played fetch with him in the hallway for about 20 minutes. Then he and I played "Chase-Toby-Around-The-House-To-Get-The-Shoe-Away-From-Him". Then I took him into the kitchen for a little training. I grabbed a small handful of kibble (dozen pieces or so), held one under his nose to get his attention, and started with "Sit". Went into the next room, had him following me, "Sit" again. Each time he got a piece if he got it right. New room, call him. When he comes, treat. Then "Sit" again.

This whole thing lasted about 20 minutes as well. Then I gave him his beef trachea chew and he ran around the house, stopping every minute or so to chew on it for about 5 minutes.

Finally, around 9:30pm I put him in his crate and turned off the lights to go to bed. Instead of the ususal 5-10 minutes of whining, crying, yelping...........SILENCE!! Little guy either went right to sleep or was too tired to cry (we were afraid to check).

Exhausting a puppy only takes about an hour. Inside, outside, wherever.
Tobeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lol, sounds like you got your exercise too. Someday hopefully your dog will do as Cassie. ..who wants to go in her crate between 6-7.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Good job, Tobeagle!

To the OP, remember to work their noses. Hide a treat under a bowl or cup. Make them figure out how to get it. A few pieces of kibble in an empty plastic bottle exercises their minds as well.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement