Beagle Whining - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beagle Whining

Hello everybody!
I'm seeking constructive advice for dealing with our whiny Beagle mix, Penny. She whines in a few different situations, but it is during dinner that I am specifically in need of advice. We crate her during dinner, otherwise she would counter surf at our dining room table and steal our food. She usually whines during this time, incessantly. It is the type of whine that is also a cry and it pierces our nerves and usually makes dinnertime very stressful and unenjoyable.

There are two things we have had minor success with when it comes to her whining:
  1. Ignoring her and not giving her any attention
  2. Taking her out of her crate for a few minutes (when she is not whining for a few seconds) and giving her attention, then putting her back

The emphasis is on "minor success", as in they don't usually work. She will whine for over an hour and it is the most horrible sound.

Please understand that she is definitely not whining for any reasons that would be of immediate concern, such as pain, starvation, imminent death, etc. She is probably just drooling for the opportunity to catch a scrap from our 2-year old or just wanting to be in the same room as us.

Her crate is two rooms away, but she can see us.

I have wondered if crating her upstairs would help, but I just don't know.

Thank you in advance!
mmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is your dog? One thing is they don't like being separated. Try to feed the dog the same time you're having dinner. I have an area in a room fenced with baby gates so she can be in a dog bed which is right next to her crate. I also keep a cover on the crate so there's no distraction. Try a chew to occupy the dog while you're eating.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

We feed our beagles before we eat and they are lose while we eat. They are NOT allowed to beg and are never ever fed from our plates or given table scraps while we eat. You could try putting her on a leash in the room with you. If she tries to beg or counter surf use a spray bottle of water to squirt her and tell her to sit.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try moving the crate into the same room you are in.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

rather than crating - train the dog. You should be able to sit down on the couch with a steak and eat it with the dog sitting laying next to you.
Should have started as a puppy, but a stern voice or praise is all it should take to train a beagle. No shock collars, spray bottles or hitting.

Last edited by oldjeep; 02-26-2017 at 08:36 PM.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't have a whining problem, but my two like to look out the window and bark. I use, "Enough!" And I mean it. You need a firm correction for the behavior. As Cheryl, stated - you can leash her. When I was first training Natty Boh, I did a calming exercise with him. Some people call it sitting on the dog. It is actually sitting on the leash. The dog is only allowed enough slack to lie down. The exercise teaches the dog to relax. You can practice the technique while not eating and then implement it at meal time. I actually DO use a water bottle to squirt mine. I generally only have to show them the bottle. They get the message.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just this morning Cassie was in her bed whining because she was enclosed in her area. I said...I Don't Want to Hear You, Go in Your Crate...she got up and went for a chill in her crate...lol
Dare I say she has free access through an open door to a huge patio and nice furniture so it's not like she's suffering.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine was a whiner and would try to steal any food that the kids dropped. It was hard to try to feed little kids and keep a puppy out of the way. I ended up just leashing her in the kitchen to a latch on the side of the cupboard. The kids could eat in peace and I could clean up before letting her free. She also would whine when I put her in her crate. I would try to ignore it and if she kept up like you are describing I would go in there and say NO! Quiet! I also leave a radio on in the same room. When we eat supper we make her go in her bed (not her crate) while we eat. Her bed is in the living room. It takes a lot of work. Now when my grand kids eat she automatically goes to the spot that I leash her, and she loves her crate as well. It took lots of patience and being firm.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
I actually DO use a water bottle to squirt mine. I generally only have to show them the bottle. They get the message.
I'd love to try that just for grins some time. Given how much piper loves to chomp at a full blast sprinkler stream I doubt a spray bottle would be good for more than a drink
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't use a spray bottle since I use it during the summer hot days to cool her off. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement