Beagle Whining - Page 3 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I agree about the leash. I use it often. They seem to know they're under control.
Guess Auntie Jan is drinking coffee again or some other energy beverage. ..lol
Sent you a PM.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Got it, responded
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post

To the person who says "train your dog... she should be able to sit next to a steak..." ... if that is how your dog is - impressive! It would be helpful to me and to other people if you shared your method of training, and summarized how long it took for your dog to get to that advanced level. Was it simply positive reinforcement?

I find the most frustrating thing about owning a scent hound is that there is a lot of "surface deep" information online and trainers we have worked with don't really understand much about them other than that they are "food oriented". I have read tons of material online and in books, and have found very little in the manner of training a beagle/beagle-mix as a family pet.

Thanks again for your responses. Hopefully some more people can respond with more ideas.
Well, I'm that guy The training is basically just a loud no and then yell back up along with a stern voice from the time we got her at 8 weeks. Now it is a lot easier to start then because the can't get up on a table, couch, etc at that size. Beagles want to please, mine cares more about being in my good graces than just about anything. Now I will admit to giving her a piece of steak if she has not required more than one no when I am done eating. However, steak or a steak bone is the only people food she gets.

Last edited by oldjeep; 03-13-2017 at 07:15 PM.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

A d as for the positive vs negative reinforcement, for me praise is when I am trying to get you to do something- yelling is for when I want you to stop something.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have done that with food on the floor as well. I say "leave it" though in a stern voice. I have also done it with the kids toys all over the place because I didn't want her to chew up their toys. I figured if we were going to have a dog and kids in the same house, the dog is going to listen. That is kind of why I made the decision to latch her when the kids were eating because she was always there ready to pounce on anything that fell. Like it was automatically hers. She knows leave it very well now. Keep working at it, you are in charge not your dog, you decide what she can eat, not her controlling your meal time or life
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement