Kibble advice? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kibble advice?

Happy New Year!

My 11 year old, Muddy, has been on Wellness Core for about 5 years. He had been on eukaneba, avoderm, science diet before but Wellness Core has been the only one where his poops are the most firm. He has had anal gland issues since he was young and we go for monthly expressions. He poops twice, at most 3 times a day and they're small poops.

When we got our rescue beagle, Benji, we started him on the same diet but he sometimes poops 4-5 times a day (at least 3 times a day) and the first few ones are large volume! How does a little 21 lb beagle make so much poop?? When we rescued him, he was really malnourished at 18 lbs so he's gained some weight on the diet.

My questions are
1) should i be concerned that he poops so much? They're decent poops, some are soft but majority are solid.
2) do i need to find Benji another diet and feed them different foods? Or switch both of them entirely?
3) I was looking into raw frozen food to mix with kibble (my sister feeds her dog some raw frozen mixed with kibble) but read some forums online that said this isn't recommended because it could wreak havoc on the digestive system. Not sure I could cough up the money to go entirely raw given how expensive it is.
Csv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like Wellness Core. It's a good food. But my dogs did not tolerate it. I think it was too rich. What works well for one dog, may not work for another. It is all about finding what works best for your dog.

How old is Benji? If he is pooping that much, it sounds like he is either being fed too much, or is having a problem digesting something in the Wellness Core formula. Perhaps he has a food allergy. You could try one of the Wellness Limited Ingredient formulas. I think it is called Wellness Simple. Less ingredients mean less chance of an allergy.

I feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. My dogs do well on the fish based formula. One of my previous dogs was actually allergic to chicken. My beagle mix weighs about 30 pounds and is fed 1 cup per day. (1/2 cup twice a day.) Solid poos are very important to me. They help the anal glands to empty on their own. My hound has only had to have his anal glands expressed once.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How long have you had your new beagle? It can take months for a new dog to settle down and stop being nervous and get used to your routine.

I have 3 beagles, two of them poop 2-3 times a day and one of them just poops all the time. If she does more running she will poop a few times more. She's healthy and about 10 years old.

They all eat Fromm adult and I add in either plain canned pumpkin or plain yogurt.

You can take a poop sample to the vet for a test to rule out anything medical.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'll stick my nose in this one because I've done a ton of reading on the subject.

-I would never feed raw. It's not recommended by the AVMA, FDA, or CDC. It's not so much that there's anything really wrong with it, but it poses contamination risks to your family and has no real, documented benefits. There have been scientific studies and they haven't found any advantages over feeding a good quality commercial kibble, no matter what some breeders and the "doggie wellness" crowd say

-personally I don't really worry about how many times Cooper goes as long as he's going and they're firm

-I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck. I highly recommend it. Good ingredients, high protein, low fat

-Orijen is about the best you can buy. It's also double the price or more than other good foods

-besides those two, the only other brands I would consider feeding are Taste of the Wild, Acana, Fromm, and Merrick. And only certain lines from those brands. There are plenty of other high quality brands, but none as easily available in most pet stores

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
crzycrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
I'll stick my nose in this one because I've done a ton of reading on the subject.

-I would never feed raw. It's not recommended by the AVMA, FDA, or CDC. It's not so much that there's anything really wrong with it, but it poses contamination risks to your family and has no real, documented benefits. There have been scientific studies and they haven't found any advantages over feeding a good quality commercial kibble, no matter what some breeders and the "doggie wellness" crowd say

-personally I don't really worry about how many times Cooper goes as long as he's going and they're firm

-I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck. I highly recommend it. Good ingredients, high protein, low fat

-Orijen is about the best you can buy. It's also double the price or more than other good foods

-besides those two, the only other brands I would consider feeding are Taste of the Wild, Acana, Fromm, and Merrick. And only certain lines from those brands. There are plenty of other high quality brands, but none as easily available in most pet stores

Im a Nurse and totally agree about not feeding a raw diet for the food safety concerns. Handling raw dog food in your kitchen where you cook could cause cross contamination in the human , hand to mouth, utensils, counters etc. Your dog can get exposed more often to getting sick as well.
I feed FreshPet found in the refrigerated section of the petstore. My dog loves it. It's rated 5star. I found it at the best price at Target.
As for poops my dog goes pretty soon when she wakes then after eating and are pretty firm. I do get her gland expressed periodically when I see her licking her butt (lol).
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

We feed Costco Salmon and Sweet potato. Rascal does well on it. We limit it to 1/3 cup 3X a day plus carrots and a half apple and we are keeping her weight under 30 pounds.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for all the advice and replies! I especially appreciate the input on the raw diet. I couldn't find a consensus but the reasons to not feed a raw diet sound very sane and reasonable.

We think Benji is about 1.5-2 years old. Since he was found on the streets, no one really knows so the vet and rescue group guessed based on his teeth. I never even thought he could have allergies since he was living on the streets and probably was eating anything and everything.

We've only had him for 4 months. His morning poop is solid and reasonably sized. He goes right when he wakes up. Then as the day goes on, the volume and softness increases so I don't understand. We only feed him 1 cup of the Wellness Core twice a day per the recommended portions. His weight has gone up 3 lbs since we've had him to 21 lbs so he doesn't look so malnourished anymore.

Muddy has been on Wellness Core for so long now I don't think he even gets excited about the food. Sometimes he skips a meal so I'm going to look into some of the brands mentioned here. I'm also going to start trying carrots to see if that helps firm up their poops.

Does anyone rotate flavors within the same brand?

Thanks again!!
Csv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/raw...make-you-barf/

There are articles on the AVMA, CDC, and FDA websites, along with many science backed articles out there. Just avoid pseudoscience sites like Natural News and Mercola.

crzycrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

When Rascal has more than one poop on a walk, the second is always mushier. I think that the first on being firm is okay. After all it's been in the 'pipe' over night
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

My girl also likes to sometimes do a 2nd, mushier poop when on her walk, maybe once a fortnight. I've always thought that maybe the 2nd one just isn't quite "ready" yet but she wants to get rid of it anyway. I always have to make sure I take a minimum of 2 poo bags on a walk just in case!
Sometimes she only does one poop in a day and it is quite large. I don't know how she manages to save it all up like that!
DragonLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement