Buddy tore his ACL - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
MJS

Default Buddy tore his ACL

Buddy tore the ACL in his left knee. It happened Sunday while we were camping at the lake. We were walking alongside the edge of the boat ramp when he lost his footing and fell of the edge. It wasn't a long fall, only 6 or 8 inches but that's all it took When he stood back up he was limping hard and not wanting to walk on that leg.

Latter that day after we returned home I took him to the ER. They checked him out and said it was most likely torn. They gave him a shot in the butt and some rimadyl until I could get him into his regular vet, which I did today.

So I left Buddy with them this morning so they could do a more complete examination. They sedated him so they could work his knee, took x-rays, completed some blood work, and checked his prostrate. Sure enough. He blew his ACL. Now I get to schedule him for surgery. Fortunately they have tremendous experience with this procedure and I feel confident with them.

Clumsy Beagle!!!
MJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Buddy tore the ACL in his left knee. It happened Sunday while we were camping at the lake. We were walking alongside the edge of the boat ramp when he lost his footing and fell of the edge. It wasn't a long fall, only 6 or 8 inches but that's all it took When he stood back up he was limping hard and not wanting to walk on that leg.

Latter that day after we returned home I took him to the ER. They checked him out and said it was most likely torn. They gave him a shot in the butt and some rimadyl until I could get him into his regular vet, which I did today.

So I left Buddy with them this morning so they could do a more complete examination. They sedated him so they could work his knee, took x-rays, completed some blood work, and checked his prostrate. Sure enough. He blew his ACL. Now I get to schedule him for surgery. Fortunately they have tremendous experience with this procedure and I feel confident with them.

Clumsy Beagle!!!
Oh NOOOOO! I am so sorry for Buddy. wow it didn't take much just the wrong move....how well I know. I found out today that I won't need surgery to repair my fractured shoulder after all from a dumb slip and fall.

Awwww, poor Buddy. Please let us know how he does...good thoughts from me and Cassie...She wants to go up to Washington to nurse him to health.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Get well soon Buddy! We don't want you hurting
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Poor guy! Hope he heals quickly.

P.S. I posted a longer reply to you on A Beagle World
Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh no! Crazy falls! Hope he heals quickly.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
MJS

Talking

Quote:
Poor guy! Hope he heals quickly.

P.S. I posted a longer reply to you on A Beagle World
We saw that and we really appreciate the advice.

I've been really worried about scheduling Buddy for the surgery It's not that I don't trust the Vest, but that I really don't want to have to put Buddy through all of that.

When Buddy was little I started taking him to this clinic. Not because of any reason but that they were close. After they treated him for his broken leg several years ago I've had many people, including other vets, comment on how good they were especially with orthopedic's. So after they examined him on Wednesday I trusted them completely.

So now I need to get him scheduled. I'm thinking that next Thursday or Friday would work best. I had asked her if it had to be performed immediately or if it would be fine to wait a week. She said that would be okay. I'm thinking if it was one of those two days then I would have the weekend to watch him. I know he will be in some pain and it would help if I was there with him.

He has been walking on it a bit better this evening but I do know that is only temporary. I feel that if it isn't taken car of soon it will cause him problems later in life.

Quote:
good thoughts from me and Cassie...She wants to go up to Washington to nurse him to health
I think he's hoping for a sympathy smooch from Cassie.

Aren't these supposed to be "Hardy little hounds"?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
MJS

The worst thing is that the little guy sleeps on my bed. This means that with his bum knee he can't jump up or down from it. This means I've had to lift him onto it and night and take him off in the morning.

The things they make us do!!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

So sorry to hear about Buddy. I always think that the worst part about a dog getting hurt is that you can't explain to them what's going on and let them know that in the end they will be fine. Give Buddy a big tummy rub for me and all the best for the surgery.
Bbircie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The main reason we didn't have the surgery is because we thought the surgery and recovery would be horrible for poor Vazzle who is always on the go, plus we have two other dogs that would be allowed to run around and play while Vazzle couldn't. The vet consulted with Vazzle's x-rays with an ortho vet and they agreed that due to her short stature and the strength she has, that we could try skipping the surgery for a few weeks and see how she did. Once she was on meds and the supplement, she slowly started to put the leg back down on the ground and now she is fine. Only on cold and damp days she sometimes gets a bit limpy.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Get well buddy!
JohnyPepperoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement