Our Beagle World Forums banner

Overweight problem

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Natty Boh 
#1 ·
Messy is 3 years old Beagle .Yesterday during the monthly check-up in Dr has found irregular heartbeats and the same is confirmed in ECG also. Doctor suspects because of the overweight these irregular heartbeats and advised me to take him for regular swimming classes with a controlled diet using Hills Prescription Diet Canine R/D. A medicine called Slentrol which is not available in India is advised for Messy but after going through different reviews am bit confused as it has very bad side effects. As for exercise I take him for morning and evening walk for 1 hour. He likes to sniff around and not much walk. At home he gets excited and play only when he see food rest of the time sleeping.
I brought Messy from a breeder in and I remember seeing his father there it was really fat. As a first time dog owner I didn’t know anything about Beagles and I thought it is the normal body weight. So the Doctor suspects a hereditary weight issue too.
This post is to get some valuable suggestions from the dog parents who face over weight problems for their fur babies. Am sure you will pray and help Messy to come out from this difficult situation.

I have started taking him for swimming sessions from yesterday...

#2 ·
Yes, being overweight is a common beagle issue. You can cut back his food and add things like green beans and peas that have little calories. For treats don't use any of those chewy/meaty kind, just dry cookies. You can even use kibble as treats. Of course no people food other than veggies. It's amazing how even a small amount of weight loss can really help them. You have a good start because you keep him active.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. It would help if you posted a picture of your dog. How much does your dog weigh? Slentrol is a canine weight-loss medication which does have side effects such as diarrhea, tiredness, not eating. I would consider taking steps to control the diet before giving the medication. Reduce the volume of food, don't give many treats and then only pieces-they don't need whole biscuits etc. I break up treats when I give them to my dog, she doesn't know the difference. Don't give table scraps especially anything that has grease or fat which leads to pancreatitis. As previously suggested add canned green beans or peas to the food and mash them so the dog doesn't pick them out. It adds volume and fills up the dog without adding calories. Don't "free-feed" which is leaving food down all day. I think if you stick to that you will see weight loss in time.

#6 ·
I am so sorry you are dealing with this, with Messy. I agree with Cassie, I would try diet and exercise, before resorting to medication. Everyone has already given great advice - have the thyroid checked, vegetables, and using kibble as treats. I hold out a small portion of kibble, from the dog's meal, to use as treats.

It is true that our beags. can have weight issues. While there are exceptions, many are chow hounds. You really have to limit them. I once did a home visit for a rescue group. The resident dog was a beagle. It was, by far, the fattest dog I have ever seen. It wasn't overweight. It was obese. Sad to see. Even sadder that the owners were blind to the dog's condition.

You and Messy are in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping she loses some weight and shows improved health. Please keep us posted.

#7 ·
Something that I found works really well is to get him a really small dish. Only give him set amount each day (Sophie gets about a cup of kibble) and break it up into small meals at set times. Sophie gets raw carrots and raw string beans for 'treats'. We go for long walks, and Sophie has learned the difference between walk time and sniff time (she gets time just to sniff around first thing in the morning and at set times during the day). Dogs (and people) who are overweight often find it hard to get moving at first, but as they get used to it, they come to enjoy it. Make sure that you don't ask him to walk too far at first - work up to it, Good luck!

#8 ·
IMO the biggest problem is , people feed the dogs what is in the bag. It's way too much.
A beagle suppose to eat one cup a day, if wants to lose weight half cup plus veggies.
Exercise is very-very important , too as Sophie's mom says.
I walk my dog four times a day, plus dog park.
But I live in an apartment.

#9 ·
We feed Rascal 3x a day. 1/3 cup plus 1/2 biscuit or greenie. She almost choked herself inhaling the kibble when we tried twice a day. She also get 1/2 apple. This is what she is SUPOSED to get! She also grabs miscellaneous stuff on our walks :eek: that we try to steer her away from!
techie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.