New Beagle owner questions - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Adoptions, Rescues, Fostering, Lost & Found

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Beagle owner questions

I recently adopted a rescued puppy. She is a female 18 months old. I noticed she has pronounced nipples on her belly...is this normal or did she have a litter? She also seems to growl at me when I come into the room but not at my wife...how can I train her to recognize me quicker. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JS1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not 100% about the nipples as mine have either been really old or had their spay before they ever had the possibility to breed. I had a beagle that would growl and RUN in a panic out of the room. Only did this with strangers. I instructed visitors to keep a treat and eventually she would gather her courage and go to them. Over time she has gotten pretty much over it(still hates baseball hats). So if it was me she was growling at the first thing I'd do is grab a handful of treats. Next time you enter and she growls I'd wait until she calms/quiets and then treat her. Over time she will only look at you as a good guy who brings her goodies.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Their nipples will become more pronounced if they've gone through a heat cycle or two without being spayed. Bella was spayed at a year old and she did have nipples then, now you can hardly see them. Ruby's had several litters and she has REALLY pronounced nipples, I'm hoping they go down some after her spay but I doubt they'll ever be little nubbins like Bella's.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you taken your dog to the vet for a thorough check up? Is your dog spayed?--There are enough dogs in this world, as you know, since you rescued your dog and more litters aren't necesssary. The older a dog is before getting spayed the greater the risk for cancer.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Cassie; 02-19-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rascal has fairly prominent nipples. The vet figured she had gone through 7 heat cycles. We were even concerned she might be pregnant. The vet who did the spay said she had never been pregnant. I lot of the looseness has gone down and she now has a fairly defined waist. She is hungry all the time and would be a rolling ball of lard if we let her eat all she wants!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the insight. She was soaked through the rescue shelter and we have all the vet files. She is very playful and great on a lease and in a crate. We haven't had any accidents except the 1st day but I chalk that up to a learning curve for all of us.

JS1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

would love to see pictures.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement