We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Adoptions, Rescues, Fostering, Lost & Found

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES!

Hello,

We are in need of expert advice!

My blue tick beagle, Jesse, was adopted November 28th of last year from a no kill shelter. Their vet aged him at 5, but my vet thinks he is younger, maybe 2 or 3. Since the adoption, we have put Jesse on a walking schedule to prevent accidents. He presently walks at 6:30am, 12:30pm, 5pm and 10:30pm. We praise him and give him treats for every successful pee and poop outdoors.

Still, randomly, he pees in the house. Yesterday, he had 3 accidents: two in his beds and one on the carpet on the stairs. In the past, he has peed on newspaper in the kitchen (if it was there) and several times on the rug in the hallway. I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong when he has the accidents. I realize that I am mostly responsible, but I also feel that Jesse is not doing his part to demonstrate his needs or to hold his pee at all.

Recently, we let Jesse explore our back yard and he peed early, going off schedule. Later that day, he peed in the hallway just prior to walk time. Guests were leaving right then, putting on their coats, and I'm wondering if seeing the coats by the door was a trigger for his system.

Last night, I fell asleep on the couch. Jesse was asleep on his dining room dog bed. When I brought him up to his bed in our room at 3am, he peed on it while I was brushing my teeth. I was surprised because he normally makes it through the night, from 10:30 pm to 6:30 am without accidents. But, could it be that waking him and moving him triggered the "it's time to go!" in his system?

Our crate situation is as follows: we had an old 36" crate from when we had a lab. Jesse peed in this crate regularly and most folks said it was too big. The shelter recommended a 30" crate, so I ordered one. I sold the big one too early so Jesse was without a crate for about 4 days, but we penned him in the kitchen which worked pretty well. The 30" crate arrived yesterday, but it seems too small. (We crate him in the kitchen and bring him to a dog bed at night in our room. This is the advice for bonding suggested by the Monks of New Skete.)

Jesse likes his new crate and happily sleeps in it. I think he can stand in it and turn around, but I haven't seen him do this yet. However, I believe that he will pee in this crate just like he pees in his beds. He doesn't seem to mind lying in pee. I wonder if this is from being in the shelter for over a month. There, he went in his crate and the tray below was pulled out and hosed each day. I think Jesse was trained TO GO in the crate in the shelter. Just a theory.

Do you all think this crate is too small?

I will appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES!-new-crate.jpg  
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you cleaned all the places he's peed with enzymatic cleaner? Even if we can't smell anything dogs still can.
Another thing is you can have him checked for a urinary infection.
Just have a small clean container with a tight fitting lid and catch the urine in it. Put it in the refrigerator if it will be a couple hours before you can get it to the vet.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

So Techie you are saying that if the dog smells urine anywhere in the house he will pee in the house, even in different spots?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

They tend to pee in the same spots.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely have Jesse tested for a UTI. If he does not have an infection, there is no reason he can't hold it at his age. A small change in time should make no difference. I'm sure his time in the shelter is a factor. I am shocked that my pound puppy is doing so well.

As Techie said, make sure to clean any spot where Jesse went with an enzymatic cleaner. You must get rid of the odor. Is Jesse marking, in addition to accidents? Is he eliminating fully, while outside? Do you have a yard - even a small front or side yard? I have found that it helps my dog to have a designated area to go potty. On walks, he goes anywhere. In my yard, he goes where I take him to go. We go to the same area, every potty break. It is really helping me to teach him. I also, do not allow him to mark. It isn't necessary. He doesn't need to kill all the plants. After he urinates fully, we walk and walk quickly.

I know how frustrating this must be for you. Thank you for rescuing Jesse. He is adorable.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, NB. Jesse is adorable-as are all of our beagles.

Thanks for the suggestions. Jesse doesn't mark. He empties his bladder in one fell swoop on walks. He is also not returning to the same spot in the house. It seems that when he decides to let it go, where ever he is, it happens.

I asked my vet about an infection and she said if he had one, he would be peeing many times in an hour. This isn't the case. At night, he can go from 10:30 to 6:30 am the next morning, provided I do not move him (I learned last night.) During the day, his limit seems to be 3-5 hours which, I agree, is odd for a dog this age. All of my other dogs were able to go 6 to 6, 12 hours and then some!

Jesse is a mystery to me, which is why I asked you all, the experts what you think.

Thanks for the help.

NB, and Everyone, what do you think about the crate size? Can you see the photo?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think your crate size is fine. I may not be the best judge. Natty Boh's crate is huge and I have it sectioned off. Jesse looks about the same in his crate as my German Shepherd looked in hers. She could stand up and turn around, lay down, but that was about it. Jesse looks pretty comfortable.

Sorry I can't help you with the accident issues. I'm really stumped. I wonder if there is some other health issue that would inhibit his ability to hold it longer.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

It could just be that your dog needs awhile to adjust to your home and what is expected of him-his surroundings and the outside are new. I would limit his area and expand a little at a time . My dog does not pee on a schedule-it's pretty much as she needs to outside. If you have a patio or area for the dog can you give free access to it?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Testing for a UTI would be my first step. If the test is negative, I would take Jesse out every 2 hours to a designated potty place during the day, and spend 10 minutes just standing there. If he goes, praise and reward him, as you have been do ing.

You are, essentially 're-training' him. Jesse has been 'taught' to eliminate in his crate(btw - the size is fine) . You want to get him to go outside. He still is confused as to where he should go, so an investment of time now will help him to learn what you want him to do. Because he has not been trained to 'hold it', there will be a period in which he may not be able to all of the time.

You may also want to watch him to see if you can pick up on behaviors that mean he has to go. Does he sniff? Circle?

Good luck! Jesse is lucky to have you.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wow, ljas,
Every two hours! You are probably right. That's what people do with puppies and we are re-training as though Jesse is a puppy-starting from scratch. Thanks for the advice. I'll watch closely for the signs, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement