We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES! - Page 5 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Adoptions, Rescues, Fostering, Lost & Found

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #41 (permalink)

Default still peeing in the house..

Jen we are right here with you! I'll be thinking we got through the day with Bella not peeing in the house (albeit taking a walk EVERY 2-3 hours) and then I find a yellow puddle in the shadows under a kitchen chair... And something about the dining room rug-- we try letting her come in to be near us while we eat, but every time she sees that persian rug she just has to pee on it! Do you think it's because the carpet is very pale green and has flowers and she thinks she's outside? haha! I will happily report that she hasn't pooped in the house in over a week. (Probably she'll do it today because I just jinxed myself.)
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #42 (permalink)

Beagle World Folks: I had to go elsewhere for advice...

The situation in our house was COMPLETELY out of hand. We were up to two poops and/or two pees PER day here and calm Jenny went out the window and my family was at it's wits end and this dog needs to stop crapping in our house.

So I Googled how to make your dog poop (as in on a walk and on a schedule and when he's suppose to so that it happens outside and not after you return from your 25 minute walk and leave for work) and found several posts from NON beagle owners struggling to housebreak difficult dogs.

I found a post by a person who read a pamphlet called WAY TO GO by Patricia McConnell and Karen London (I bought it as an eBook) and while the advice is similar to what you all have been telling me, one difference is that they said that rewarding some dogs with store bought treats won't work. This poster said to give the good stuff, cooked chicken, steak and tasty cheeses as rewards. Plus each success has to be met with gold medal type accolades. Another poster explained that some dogs don't like to go on the leash and she has to take her dog to the dog park to have success. This is Jesse! He won't go for his dog walkers, and, did I mention, he now busts out of his crate?

My husband went to the grocery and bought steak on the bone, which I cooked and am now using as treats. We have had a poop/pee free weekend! Jesse is more attentive than he has ever been outside. I'm not so sure we'll be as successful during the week when I'm at work, but I'm hoping that the steak will encourage Jesse to go for the dog walkers and/or to hold it 'til I get home to get the good treats.

I hope this helps others who are struggling...
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #43 (permalink)

Default We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES!

Jenhardy..Good for you!!! Maybe you've found the trick for you. Also try tiny bits of cooked chicken breast with a sprinkle of garlic powder. Mine love the stuff like it's doggy heroine. I keep a ziploc baggy of it in the frig. I also have a recipe for liver treats that they love. Most of mine don't care for store bought treats either. They aren't stupid..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #44 (permalink)

Jenhardy,
I hope you have the problem solved!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)

Jen, That is so awesome. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #46 (permalink)

Jenhardy, just saw your post about training with the premium treats. How is Jesse doing now? Bella is really wearing me out with this going in the house business. We are having some good days, but today was particularly bad-- three pees (one on the good carpet) and a poop in the house.
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #47 (permalink)

Thanks everyone,
the good treats are the answer. Jesse has been almost accident free for two weeks. The accidents were pees in the house after drinking extra water. I have to watch that and anticipate.

One recent problem I'm seeing is that he loves the yard and hangs out outside when we are home. But, outside, he can go at will and I feel as though that throws of his schedule and may be confusing to him.

Now what I'm doing is letting him out for a short time AFTER he has done his business on a walk.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #48 (permalink)

Default Update

Hello BW Friends,

I am happy to report that our dog is basically, almost housebroken!

The good treats really work. We cook Jesse a steak every week. We cut it up and take bits out on every walk. For every success Jesse has outdoors, he is rewarded. Jesse both expects the rewards now and anticipates them. He is happy to do everything outside consistently.

In the past two months, Jesse has had only two or three accidents. On two occasions, he was sick and had loose stool issues.

Not only have the steak treats helped with the housebreaking, they have allowed Jesse to become more interested and attached to us. Treats have helped us bond. We can even visit the off-leash dog run. Jesse can run and play with other dogs freely and will allow himself to be caught. Once, he even came to me on command.

In addition, Jesse is generally more relaxed and seems to be enjoying an increased sense of belonging. He is interested in the smells on our block: on each tree, on each lamp post and in each yard. It's as though he's more invested in his neighborhood and cares about what is happening around him.

All of this makes me wonder if Jesse's new behaviors are solely food based, or if the time it takes to adjust to a new home is also a factor. We've had Jesse for 6 months now. I'm thinking that maybe for some rescues, adoption is traumatic. Jesse seemed really depressed and unhappy for a long time. And that made us all sad and it made us feel unloved and unappreciated. Now, when I come home, he jumps down from his chair, wags his tail and licks my face. He is really happy to see me.

We have a running routine, a walking routine and a feeding routine. It's all working very well. Jesse still doesn't sleep with us, but he seems happy in his special living-room chair.

For those still struggling with housebreaking: don't lose heart. They will GET it eventually!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #49 (permalink)

Rascal has seemed to be settling down nicely too now and getting used to our routine. We don't have to go out back with her every time now. She is comfortable being out there by herself. She will sun herself and scratch to come back in.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement