We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES! - Page 3 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Adoptions, Rescues, Fostering, Lost & Found

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

This is the new, relaxed, calm, chill Jenny here.

Okay, the good news is that Jesse has not peed in the house for a long time.

Now, he's taken to crapping in the house.

This has happened last Friday, Wednesday (dreaded Stella day) and tonight. He craps in the same place each time, just as you all said he would. He's crapping right after walks.

My dog walkers believe that Jesse is not comfortable pooping in front of them yet. They also believe that he is sneaky.

We have done everything to try to keep Jesse penned in the kitchen, but each day he miraculously gets out and roams the house.

I continue to be baffled and I believe that this dog KNOWS what he is doing. We are bonding, but he's pushing the limits.

The dog walkers say he is a badass-I agree!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hi
Your post is so funny I coudn't stop laughing...sorry, I know its not funny for you. It was raining hard here this morning and Cassie went out to the patio to do her biz this morning after I let out of her crate for the night. She couldn't find her previous pee areas since everything was wet. I waited for her return at the door and had put a towel down to dry her as she came in..but ahh oh, she mistook the towel for a nice place to pee! I guess it was more my fault then her's-each thing is a learning opportunity...for us, eh?

How high is your pen? These buggers can jump very high.

Cassie's penned area changed continually since she was 8 weeks (now 1 yr). when she started peeing and pooping in the dining room I made her area reeeeally small. Then as she demonstrated improvement I added more space. I have moved my dining room furniture more times than I woud like to remember.

It will get better just about the time you're ready to commit suicide
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Try buying some enzymatic cleaner and clean the floor where the poop was. They have such good smell that they can tell where they pooped before. The kind we bought (Nature's Miracle) dried very fast too. Just don't walk where you cleaned.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Oh yes, we have the Nature's Miracle. And we use it. Still, he returns to the spot.

New development:

Jesse sleeps with us. We're BONDING. It's great! He's warm, he gives kisses, he snuggles. And, if he jumps off the bed in the middle of the night, I know he needs to go out. This is his signal. Twice in the past three days, he wanted to go out at 2:30-3:00 am. The first time he got up in the middle of the night, he did both in our yard. This morning he just piddled. But, I couldn't fall back to sleep and was a grumpy wreck to my 1st graders today.

Also, Houdini escaped from the kitchen again while we were at school. We braced one doorway with two chairs (one on either side) and the other with double gates, one on top of the other. And still Jesse got out twice! While we are gone, he sleeps on my husband's side of the bed, warm and snuggled, on the second floor.

My dog walkers think this is hilarious! I am, again, still, baffled.

But here's the thing: Jesse seems to do just ONE bad thing per day. If he escapes the kitchen, he doesn't mess in the house while we're gone. At least not so far...

Trying to figure out my rescue's thought processes...

The Houdini Badass!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hey, One bad thing per day isn't so bad. The Houdini Badass is better than most children I know. LOL!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #26 (permalink)

Housebreaking update:
No poop in the house since Thursday-good.
A pee in the kitchen today shortly after a trip to the dog run-bad.

Too much water after running around? Possibly. Jesse was staring at me just before. I thought he was hungry and asking for dinner because normally after the dog run it's dinner, but we went earlier today. Fortunately, he went on the emergency newspaper.

I'm hoping everyone is noticing my relaxed demeanor!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhardy View Post
Housebreaking update:
No poop in the house since Thursday-good.
A pee in the kitchen today shortly after a trip to the dog run-bad.

Too much water after running around? Possibly. Jesse was staring at me just before. I thought he was hungry and asking for dinner because normally after the dog run it's dinner, but we went earlier today. Fortunately, he went on the emergency newspaper.

I'm hoping everyone is noticing my relaxed demeanor!
Oh! We ARE! I am very impressed with the new jenhardy. You are doing an awesome job with Jesse.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #28 (permalink)

Ha ha,
Thanks, NB.

For all folks dealing with housebreaking, I propose a little game. For each day Jesse goes without a pee in the house, he gets 1 point. For each day with no poop, 2 points. The most he can earn in a week is 21 points.

Here we go:
Sunday, neither, 3 points.
Monday, neither, 3 points. 6 points so far. Go Jesse!

For those of you with puppies, it may make more sense to award points for every successful outside pee/poop. One for pee, 2 for poop. Your dogs will lose points for every accident. Minus 1 for a pee in the house, -2 for a poop. You can try to see if your puppy comes out in the red or the black at the end of seven days.

Start with yesterday. Or today-it doesn't matter.

Each week, the number of points should increase if progress is being made.

Who is in?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #29 (permalink)

Jen, I saw in another post you said that Jesse does not like to go potty on a leash. This is true of many dogs. I'm not sure why that is, but some only want to go off-leash in the yard. (Which is actually preferable to me.) LOL! I know they like having a designated area to go. Maybe that is part of it.

Your point game sounds good. I'm in. Just got Natty Boh over his diarrhea. Sounds like a good time to start.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

We were at 6 points Tuesday, yes? Well we went to 5 on Wednesday, Stella day. Jesse pooped once and peed twice in the house, a personal record. So he didn't earn any points Wednesday and lost a point from what he's earned.

I knew I was doomed when he didn't poop in the morning. He won't poop for the dog walkers, and couldn't wait until I got home at 5.

Ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement