We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES! - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Adoptions, Rescues, Fostering, Lost & Found

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did he pee on the floor when you penned him in the kitchen? If not, maybe try that instead of the crate. Some dogs just do better in a small area but not necessarily a crate. I had a collie that was perfectly content to stay on a tie out for hours on end but if you put her loose in a fenced yard and she would find a way out in 20 seconds. And she completely destroyed my landlady's kennel when she was put in there over night .

Last edited by Kapoohski; 01-04-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

No, he didn't actually. In fact, he has only peed when we are home, now that I think of it. The problem with the gates is that twice he has gotten out, either by knocking one down or jumping over (?) The gate was up and he was out.

Once when he was left with the run of the house (before we got the gates) he was destructive and tore up lots of things from under the tree. At other times, he's been a gentleman. I think I have very moody dog...
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

So, we did not make it through Stella Day. Stella is our cleaning lady who mops and runs the vacuum. The last day Jesse peed in the house was a Stella day. Today, Jesse's crate was wet when I came home at 4:45. The dog walker texted that he was dry at noon, so, I don't know what happened. Stella leaves by 10, the latest. The dog walker would have me think that the accident happened later. Maybe it did. But, I suspect it was earlier, especially since I believe the dog walker may have been later than usual...

Anyway, we had gone 6 days with no accidents and today we had one. So we'll start over. You may think I'm crazy, but I'm planning to pen Jesse in the kitchen tomorrow because he has been reluctant to go into his crate these past few mornings. It seems awfully small for 5 hours at a time. Maybe he'll do better with it as an option but with the ability to roam the kitchen, too.

Eek-I hope this will be an okay idea...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

The drama continues...

Jesse peed in the house Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. In anticipation of Stella, I arranged for TWO dog walks, at 10 and at 1. He still peed, post Stella, before we got home at 5. Ugh! Clearly it's not fear of the vacuum or mop. Something else is going on.

On Thursday, Jesse jumped over the gate and was loose in the house. He gave himself permission to snuggle on the couch and was happy and warm all day. No pee anywhere.

The dog trainer (my therapist) thinks he has DIRTY PUPPY SYNDROME and doesn't mind laying in pee in his crate. She thinks he may have separation anxiety about being left alone, not liking the crate, feeling alone in the kitchen and thought he might be a dog that does better in the comfort of the house.She also said that we might have to paper train him if he has DPS.

But, since he was good Thursday, I thought why not? Today, Friday, I left him out, with run of the downstairs and...HE CRAPPED IN THE HOUSE! No pee, but poop! It's only the second time he's pooped in the house since we've had him, (2 months.)

So, I'm scratching my head.

Yesterday, for the first time in a week or so, I forgot to pull up his food dish after 15 minutes. This morning, he didn't poop on the morning walk, as he usually does. Did I throw off his schedule? Or, is the dog trainer's theory bogus? Should I give it another try? Was he peeing in the kitchen because he was anxious? Everyone says untrustworthy dogs should have less freedom-but that wasn't working either. I know I must be consistent, but I don't know what to do now.

We're at our wits end!

Last edited by jenhardy; 01-18-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Jenhardy, I think you are getting to anxious about all this. The dog is going to pee and poop when it needs to-I don't think it has anything to do with separation anxiety or when people come and go. It's difficut leaving a dog for hours, I really don't know how people do it and expect the dog to be perfect, after all it is an animal.

My dog is waking up recently at 1:30 AM (!!) to pee and poop regardless of the time fed-I've had the opportunity to look at the moon and stars in the weeee hours. fortunately, I can send her out to our patio and she will come back when done. My dog never pees or poops on a long walk-she saves it for home. So Idon't know how people get their dogs to do the biz when walked.

As for your gates, I've warned on this forum several times that the dogs can jump over 3 feet-I found that out the same way as you . I kept thinking I had left some opening for escape until I actually saw our critter jump the thing! We now have 48" pen in the house-
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Cassie,
I think you're right! I need to relax and go with the flow. The dog's been through a lot and he's made tremendous progress. Today we slept in until 8:47! He didn't wet his bed. He IS doing better. And he loves the couch.
Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
We have the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES!-jesses-perch.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm so glad Jesse had a dry night and I am so sorry you have been so frustrated. I know it is hard. You deserve a lot of credit for hanging in there. Jesse is tougher, because he is older and is a shelter dog. I know you and he can figure this out.

If it makes you feel any better, Boh pooped in the kitchen Friday. Totally my fault, because I knew he needed to go out. Anyway, I found him lurking in the corner, behind his pile of poo. He had taken his fuzzy toy and dropped it on top of the pile. It was like he was trying to hide it. I'm thinking he is as smart as a human toddler. LOL! At any rate, I had to laugh. I told him, "Sorry dude, I can smell too. You can't hide that."

I am sending you a PM.
Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks, guys.

I HAVE been stressing and I need to relax.
Jesse has been so good, we left him loose in the house and we went out to dinner. The good news: we came home to no pee or poop!

On the other hand, there was lots of destruction: my make up is chewed up, and my school pens were scattered, chewed and destroyed.

Still, I feel this is an improvement!
It's an exciting continuum...

NB, thanks for your suggestions. I couldn't figure out how to reply to your PM, for some reason. But thanks.

Good luck everyone!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

My dog has the whole penned dining room with access to come and go to a large enclosed patio where she can P&P-that being said she is not allowed free movement through the house unless under supervision. Everyday now I let her go about the living room, kitchen, hallway while dragging her leash so that she thinks she's being controlled for short periods of time. She is improving her behavior from when she ran wildly around. I had to remove everything from the coffee table and pillows from the couch. It's funny to watch her sit on the piano bench and play the piano though!!

My thinking is why should I allow her to destroy stuff which will be hard to "un-learn" that behavior.

No rush, one day at a time...
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

So true. Some things you just can't rush. Natty Boh had an upset tummy today. Housebreaking went out the window. Poor little guy couldn't help it. Tomorrow is another day. Hope he feels better.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement