My rescued little love won't eat. - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Adoptions, Rescues, Fostering, Lost & Found

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My rescued little love won't eat.

We just adopted the most wonderful beagle and we are all so in love with him, but I am worried. The pound said that he didn't really eat much when he was there, but he wasn't there for long. And we have now had him for 5 days. He won't eat the food we got from the pound or the new stuff we got for him. We've even tried just table scraps (bad, I know) just to get something in his belly. He has nibbled things here and there but he hasn't really chowed down on anything. Is there typically a transition phase for beagles going from "who knows where", to a pound, to a new home? The tough part is that I don't have anything to gage his behaviour by since we just got him. The pound estimated that he was about 3 years old. Please help! And if you have any questions or need me to clarify, please let me know!
BonnyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

We just went and picked up 2 beagles last Saturday. The younger one did not eat until last night.

I am assuming your little guy has been vet-checked healthy. He is probably frightened and confused by the changes in his circumstances.

One other thing, perhaps he was trained with a "release word" before he will eat. The first time I "babysat" my sister's corgis the female just sat by her dish and wouldn't eat. After an hour I called mys sister and she explained that the dog will not eat unless told, "OK, go ahead."
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Assuming health-wise he is okay, I think it is a beagle thing. They can get very sad/depressed/confused with a lot of change. For example if the owner goes away and leaves them, many times they will eat very little.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is your dog eating yet?
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sometimes pets get uncomfortable with the new environment. So I would recommend give your new dog little time to adjust, avoid doing anything which adds more stress to him like talking and petting her.

Last edited by Shellyericson; 12-07-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Shellyericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

when we board our girls, usually for 5 days, we are convinced they do not eat. Even when we supply the kennel with their normal food.

When they get back in their normal environment and get setlled for an hour, they eat like theres no tomorrow. I think its simply a comfortability/familiarity issue.
Pbs1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement