Our Beagle World Forums banner

Beagle living outdoor???

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  magisek 
#1 ·
Hi, i'm picking up my puppy this Saturday and the plan was for Milka to live on our balcony. It's 40 sq meters and has been puppy proofed. The spot we chose for her is sheltered, so never in direct sun and the rain will not reach her either. We bought a large play pen for her and a crate.
She will be indoors with us, when we're home, but we want her to be outside when we're at work. We live in Sydney and it's end of summer here, so it's warm outside. What are your thoughts? Can an eight weeks old puppy be outdoors? Does anyone have an outdoor beagle? Any advice is appreciated.

#3 ·
I keep my puppy in the house when I am not home with the radio on quietly. But this depends if you have an area suitable. Liia is only 9 weeks old and I was hoping this would discourage her to bark and howl when she is alone. I adopted her when she was 6 weeks old and the neighbour said he hasn't heard her cry. She never gets left more than 4 hours, although I understand its difficult if you work fulltime. Its still early days, but I am hoping she can stay outside when she is older and more familiar with her surroundings.

#4 ·
I agree with Jenhardy. A young puppy needs attention and nourishment. If your puppy is about 8 weeks as mine was she was only 5 lbs at that age. how are you training for pee and pooping? Beagles are high energy dogs, keeping your dog confined in a small space without attention for hours will be a challenge. They grow fast and want to run around.

#5 ·
I agree about the age, 8 weeks is a pretty young pup. I brought my first beag home when he was 9 weeks and he required attention and was gated in a small area of the house while I was at work. If he has to be outside be sure that he is very secure and has things to keep him busy and comfortable.

#6 ·
I've waited to post because this is a topic I feel quite strongly about. I apologize up front if I offend anyone with my remarks. Please reconsider getting the puppy if your going to have it stay outside while you are away. There is no such thing as a puppy proof enclosure. What is the reasoning behind keeping it outside? Is it to prevent accidents or damage to your living area? Proper crate training and your pup will be safe inside while still possibly preventing damage. Or hire someone to come and walk your pup while you are away.
I'm going to quit before I go too far. Go to any shelter and you will see plenty of dogs that people thought were safely contained.

Mae and Pixie escaped their chain link enclosure and I was given them because they were "escape artists".
Tess was wandering her yard when I put her back in the enclosure just to watch her do it again. She was given to me also.
Sasha was dragging a chain down the road.
This is only part of my pack.
Please bring the beagle inside.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
I wanted a beagle for about 5 years but waited until I quit working-all I can say is that she is a full time job. I only gave myself 3 weeks between quiting work and getting my beagle-I feel like I haven't stopped working and she is a year at this time.

My dog has our dining room which is about 170 sq feet with free access to a 600 sq foot patio + a yard.... and to her it's never enough
:bounce::bounce::walk::run::happydance:.

#9 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I'm convinced now that Milka is staying indoors for now.

My6beagles, the reason why we want her outdoors is simple - we thought she'd be happier there than in the house. I thought, she'd have more space to play with her toys, she could watch the outside world and also use a part of it as her potty when we're not there. We have seen dogs having their kingdom on the balconies and they all seemed to be happy.

I guess, it will be her decision what she prefers. We will monitor her closely and see how she goes. Luckily the play pen we bought for her can be used indoors too. I will keep you guys posted.

#10 ·
I would say 80% of dogs in Australia do live outside. I previously had 2 border collies and they hated being inside the house, and couldnt wait to be let outside on the verandah or in the back garden to play, so I can totally understand your reasoning of why you think she would of been happier outside.

I leave my back door open now for my puppy when I am home and she takes her toys outside one by one to play with. My vet lives on a farm with two beagles and she said they live outside full time as they love to go swimming in the dam and then roll in the mud, so I guess it depends on the individual and where they are happiest. Good luck, Im sure you will know what's the safest option for her.

#11 ·
Thanks MyLittleLiia. You got my point - I simply think that Milka will be happier outside. I have just taken my research further and found an interesting advice I will take on. Milka will stay indoors until puppy trained and big enough to look after herself.
For those interested, see below:

Why not just leave the puppy outdoors until he is housetrained?

Who is going to housetrain your pup outside — a shrub? If the dog is left outside unattended, he will become an indiscriminate eliminator. Basically, your puppy will learn to go wherever he wants, whenever he wants, and he will likely do the same whenever you let him indoors. Puppies left outdoors and unsupervised for long periods of time seldom become housetrained. Also, they tend to become indiscriminate barkers, chewers, diggers, and escapists, and they may be more easily stolen. Outdoor puppies also become so excited on the few occasions they are invited indoors that eventually they are no longer allowed inside at all.

#12 · (Edited)
I think even if you talk to your vet or the local pound they will agree it's ok for dogs (not puppies) to be outside, as long as they have been microchipped, registered with the local council, wear a name and number tag and have an enclosed back yard (which are all required by law in Victoria) An 'escape artist' earns it's name for a reason, not all dogs are like that, and they require special attention. I totally agree with the article and puppies should not be left outside, but in the Australian culture and climate, that it's perfectly normal (when they are older), I would never leave her out if it was too cold, hot or wet. It doesn't mean we love them any less, we just want them to be happy :)

#13 ·
I think once she is trained and is more of an adult, then being outside can be okay as long as she is secure and wearing ID tags etc. My dogs are fine with being inside, they really only want to be out if I am with them. In the US there are many reasons to keep them in such as neighbors complaining about barking, dogs being stolen from yards, all sorts of critters coming in the yard like cats, rabbits, chipmunks etc.

#14 ·
Rascal wants us outside anytime she goes out :eek: She will come and lay on the door step if we go back inside.
She wants to be with us at all times.
She doesn't mind as much now when we have to go out and leave her for a few hours. She used to go bonkers. Now we come home and she has been sleeping. I think Rascal was very traumatized when she got dumped.
techie

#15 · (Edited)
My puppy is bred with Australian kelpie, who are outdoor working dogs, so I guess her temperament is a little different to the purebred beagle. I am more than happy for her to stay inside if she wants too, I just thought I was keeping her locked up, like a child in a bedroom who wants to go outside and play.
My puppy sleeps when I am out techie, get the cute sleepy walk, yawns and stretches when I open the door. Hopefully she doesn't out grow it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.