Our Beagle World Forums banner

Spaying?

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  LAD85 
#1 ·
Lola is now just over 5 months old an I'm wondering when is the best time to have her spayed as I've heard lots of different stories.

How old was your beagle when she was spayed??

Thanks guys

#8 ·
The last female puppy I had was a Samoyed. I had her spayed at 5 months. I wanted to do it, before she went into heat. My current puppy is a male. He was neutered at the shelter when he was about 8 weeks old. I know some people are opposed to spay/neuter or think you should wait until the dog it an adult. I disagree. I think there is just too much risk of an oops litter. There are already too many dogs and puppies in shelters. The early neuter does not seem to have had any impact on my puppy

#11 ·
My girl was spayed between 5 and 6 months and my boy was neutered at the same time, both recovered nicely. Some vets recommend waiting until after the female has had her first heat (5 to 7 months) but others don't seem to worry as long as the dog is matured enough.

#15 ·
I do think 6 months is the norm, though it probably depends on the circumstances and the vet. My previous pup, that was spayed at 5 months, was already scheduled for another surgery. She had severe hip dysplasia and need a TPO. I had her spayed at the same time to avoid her going under twice. Everyone was in agreement that spaying her at the same time was the best option.

#18 ·
Hazel and Lolapup, try not to stress too much. I know how we feel about our babies and it is scary, but you are very responsible owners for doing this. Your pups will heal quickly.

My rabbits are even speutered. They healed just fine.

#19 ·
Ya what she ^^^^ said !!!

I'm not saying to not worry because that's not possible. I've had fifteen dogs spayed over the years without any issues. The key is follow your vets instructions exactly as they tell you. I realize after a few days(some its been hours) they act normal but always remember this is a major surgery. It should be treated that way. I always get pain meds for them. I wouldn't want to have a surgery without them so I couldn't possibly expect them to do without.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#20 ·
Spaying

We had both are girls spayed at the same time since they are the same age. That way they both had to be quiet for a week to heal - seperate kennels too. They never even seem to notice. I was informed it is best to do before the first heat at about 6 months and they had to be over 20lbs.:eek:

#21 ·
I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter. She was 2 years old and the shelter spayed her, just before I adopted her. A few years later, my girl started dripping blood. The vet ran a serious of inconclusive tests, but suspected an incomplete spay. We wound up having exploratory surgery done. Part of her uterus and both ovaries were left behind and had to be removed.

Despite being an adult and having to be spayed twice, she recovered completely with no complications.

#22 ·
I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter. She was 2 years old and the shelter spayed her, just before I adopted her. A few years later, my girl started dripping blood. The vet ran a serious of inconclusive tests, but suspected an incomplete spay. We wound up having exploratory surgery done. Part of her uterus and both ovaries were left behind and had to be removed.

Despite being an adult and having to be spayed twice, she recovered completely with no complications.

OMG! How could a legitimate vet do that? Did you ever contact the shelter?

#23 ·
I did contact the shelter. They did reimburse me for a portion of my dog's vet bill. My vet said that what happens with shelters, sometimes, is that they do a small incision to save time. They proceed to pull everything out of that small incision. She told me that you just can't do that with a two year old German Shepherd. My poor girl had a huge incision for the exploratory surgery. That is what had me so upset. I didn't like my baby in pain. But - she recovered quickly and was fine.

#25 ·
Id personally try and wait a year. I like to let a dog grow up and mature. instead of having a baby have surgery and not fully mature and grow.

then again I have 2 intact males. both rescues of the sort. no breeders. but I just dont see the point in 'fixing' something that is not broken. so they keep their balls.

a female though I would spay just due to the much higher risk of intact females. such as pyro, false pregnancy, and real pregnancys ect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.