Our Beagle World Forums banner

How long did it take you to Housetrain your Beagle?

29K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  eleanor 
#1 ·
Hi - there seems to be lots of variation on the amount of time it takes to housetrain a beagle.

two questions are:

1) How long has it taken you?

2) How old was you're Beagle when you started training

Thanks again

#2 ·
Our first beagle was 6 months old when we got her. Her first owners failed to housetrain her but we had her clean within a couple of weeks. Our second beagle was already housetrained when we got her, at six months.
Our present two were 5 years olf when we got them. Neither housetrained as they were research beagles. Snoopy was clean within a couple of weeks, but Susi took ages and 2 years later is still not 100%. We live with her accidents and basically she is very good.

#3 ·
Raj - how OLD is your beagle??

I have to tell you that I've had dogs almost all my life, and my first beagle almost drove me to drink! Beagles are not as easy to housetrain as some other dogs I've had. I understand from others, that it is a "hound trait" - that some other "hounds" are also difficult to housetrain. The key is consistency and patience - LOTS of patience! My first beagle and I had many serious discussions about the fact that she did NOT have a 3 story, 6,000 square foot indoor potty!
About how OLD? Well, I have 10 beagles and several others have moved in and out of here. To be honest, the easiest were the puppies born here - I actually had one litter "litter box trained" when they were about 6 weeks old. My house is not easy since there are 3 full floors - and I spend much of my time in the basement family room now. Right now, several of my "kids" stay in the basement much of the time - I have neighbors that don't like "barking" so they go out for brief periods serveral times a day - the rest of the time they use "puppy pads" - which is NOT an ideal solution, but when I'm not home to let them out and in - it's the only alternative. Every dog I've ever had was totally "housetrained" by 3 months old - UNTIL I got my first beagle! You're right - there is a huge variation in timing - so much depends on whether you are home a lot with the pup - or (as in the case of many of us) have to go to work for 8 or more hours a day. I'm sorry that was not a definitive answer - I don't think there is a "one answer fits all beagles"!
Good luck!

#6 ·
Raj - good luck with your new baby. I hope that you don't get him too early. I don't let my babies go until 8 weeks, at the EARLIEST - and prefer 10. They need that extra time with mom and for socialization. Some breeders let their pups go earlier - but my vet says 8-10 weeks - 12 even better, but most new owners want them before 12 weeks. Can't wait for pictures!

#7 ·
We got Daisy at 10 weeks, and we're still in the process of housetraining. She is doing pretty good with it. We have an accident about once every 3 days or so, but she does have to go out A LOT. So, I'm not sure if she's getting trained, or I am trained to take her out every hour to hour and a half. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif She does hold it at night, so something must be working.

#8 ·
Jersey was about 8 weeks old when we got her. We started housetraining immediately. The first couple of months were hit and miss, although she only pooped in the house one time on the first day we had her. For a while I never thought she'd get the hang of it. After I started to use treats when she peed outside it only took about two weeks for her to start going to the door. She was about 7 months old when she started going to the door on a consistent basis and probably 10 months old the last time she had any real accidents. One day it seemed to all click. I was in the kitchen and Jersey went to the door and tapped. I asked her if she had to go potty and she got all excited. Since then she's only had a handful of accidents in the house, most of which were caused by our laziness.

#9 ·
right now Dixie is 6 months old, she went a week and a half with no accident, then she had one.

Now it seems she has one every other day.

but she has been good about it. just need to train her to hold it longer then she does while she is out of the crate. That way we don't have to go outside every hr or so.

#13 ·
We got Marley at 2 months old. I would say he was pretty housetrained by 3-4 months old believe it or not. He has only had a few accidents in the house ever. I would say I got pretty lucky that way but I really really worked at this. I took him out each and every time he woke up, played, ate, before going to sleep, when he looked like he might have to go, etc. I used the same way out the house, the same words "go pee pee", etc, gave him praise and treats, so on.

My husband said along the way I was overdoing it, but guess what, it took only a few weeks. And now hubby calls me the house training queen.

Now, if only we could get him to not sprinkle when he gets overly excited. Vet says he will grow out of it.

#15 ·
I got Chloe at 3 months old. She wasn't housetrained as she lived in a farm with her mommey and daddy.

I am careful in saying she is housetrained, because she is not a crate dog. When I'm with her for even 12 hours wihout going out (I'm lazy sometimes....) she holds it just fine and it sometimes even seems like she forgets she needs to pee/poop. The only problem is when I'm gone, I usually come back to a small puddle. I am relating it to stress.... but who knows.

I hope someday she will get the point! Oh, and she is almost a year old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.