Our Beagle World Forums banner

need help securing chain link fence

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ricksconnected 
#1 ·
the silly rabbits that live under our deck are tormenting our Beags...last night there was one in our yard and Georgia just looked at me, begging to go out... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
I let them out, and the rabbit went under our loose chain link fence, and into the neighbors fenced yard....Polly actually got ahold of the rabbit, before it broke free into the empty lot...then Polly tried to squeeze under, too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
managed to get both Beags back...
but I have to fix our fence...it is too loose at the bottom.
Polly's a digger, but has yet to try to dig under the fence.
And we'll fix our deck so it's less attractive to rabbits...my dryer vents under it, and it's only about 2 feet high--a platform, rather. So it's nice and warm at times...
let me know if anyone has ideas on the fence!! Thanks! :wave:

See less See more
#2 ·
Our yard is just too big for us to afford to fence completely. As a result, we built the playpen our behind my hubby's boat barn. It is covered chain link fence, 5' above the ground and 1' below the ground with 18" of covered chicken wire connected to the bottom and secured down. We have straw in it and bales for the girls to play around. We got it thru Home Depot...they hated trenching it, but we have diggers too. See photo below

#3 ·
We have about one acre fenced in back yard that has holes underneath more toward the back of the yard, which is also where the bunnies used to nest.

Both of my Girls *hunt* but they hunt birds now. About 6 weeks ago, they got gone and come to find out had been getting out under the fence so hubby got some spikes and ran them along the fenceline about every 6 inches.

Forunately we have not had any issues since then. Today was the first day the Girls stayed outside all day while we went to work. Hubby just called and said both were still out there and didn't even realize he was home yet.

#4 ·
marti

now thats so cool looking. very beaglie.
i would love to have that set up for bernie.

ok, this might be a bit much, but do you have a pic of the problemed area of the fence?
when you say its to lose, im see a few different ways that it could be lose. each would require a different solution.

#6 ·
My step-father used wire clothes hangers bent into a U shaped to secure the bottom of their fence.

He took the bent hanger, put it over the bottom rung of the fence and then secured it into the ground by basically hammering it as far and as tight as it would go. I don't know if he secured it with cement or not but I could ask...I don't think he did though.

So far it's been Abby proof which suprised me a great deal actually. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

#7 ·
ok go get those little gardening stakes and hammer away. space them out every 6in or so. if its just a small spot that they get out or dig at, get ya some cheap garlic power and coat the surface of the ground along the fence in that area. beags and other dogs dont like garlic, and the sent lasts a good while too.
hope this helps.

#8 ·
tried the garden stakes (for holding down landscaping fabric) they popped back up with no help from the dogs...
I think I will try some rebar...I saw something on the internet.
I wish we could afford to re-build the fence, but it's not even our fence, it's our neighbors. They have a huge black lab, so a little gap is no big deal to them!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.